Chevy Nova Forum banner

Traction problems

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  71nova355 
#1 · (Edited)
Went to the Mooneyes show at Irwindale expecting to get lots of runs and do some tuning. The day started late due to fog and it took some time to dry the track. It got worse from there. :( I only got 2 runs in due to oil downs and crashes. Everybody invloved was OK, but conditions were not ideal. On both runs the tires broke loose as soon as the converter flashed (about 3400 rpm). 60 foot times were 1.95 and 2.45 (I am normally at 1.6 to 1.7). :eek: The only diff was a longer burnout on the second run and rear shocks were set 2 clicks softer (from 3 to 1). On the second run the tires chattered after breaking loose and I had to back way off to get any traction. I know track conditions were bad but lots of cars were pulling the front wheels, so it was possible to hook. I have 255/60-15 MT radials running 18 psi, Caltracs set on the lower hole, about 1/4 turn of preload, Rancho shocks set at 3 then 1, Split leaf monos, Moroso trick springs and Calvert 90/10 up front, with about 5" of travel. Do I need to go the upper hole on the Caltracs? Any other suggestions?

Run 1

Run 2

See less See more
#3 ·
Bob did you look at Andys video I posted the link in the southwest section. There is a shot of your launch in there. I really heated my tires yesterday. I tend to overheat them and dint have issues. Maybe a longer burnout would help.

#4 ·
I have always believed that going to a looser shock setting as the track goes away is the correct direction to go. It allows the rear end to get planted into the ground easier which is what you want on a loose or slippery track. You can tighten them up as the track is better to keep the separation to a minimum and get the car going forward instead of up. Not sure if that is your issue since you went looser and it still didn't work my only question is how old are your tires?

I should point out that my experience is with slapper bars not Caltracs, so I may be off base here.

#7 ·
Seeing other cars with slicks or lower weight, horsepower or torque pulling the wheels is not a gauge.

DRAG RADIALS are the worst, and videos of the days events show the track to be hideous.

You need a set of slicks, on wheels swap them at the track and live happy.

Irwindale can learn a thing or too about track prep and clean up.

You race in hideous conditions even when conditions are good.

Remember, 1inch at starting line is 60ft at the finish line!

IMHO
Al

#9 ·
Respectfully, you need to tell that to the guys putting 2200 hp down on 275 radials going low 7's at 3500#. You can say they race on highly prepped tracks but Thats not always the case and they still find a way to get it done. Putting slicks on will work but its a bandaid fix and If Bob? Is like me he likes to drive to the track and race on the same tires. No extra set of rims and tires, no floor jack, no jackstands, no racegas, no BS. :yes:

#11 ·
Didn't you have it working fairly consistent before Bob?
The track was pretty bad with all the leakers running this weekend. The right lane was worse, but there were plenty of loose cars in both lanes. Some cars were dragging water to the line, while others were leaving fluid trails everywhere--not a good day for evaluating your setup. Connie walked the track after Matt wadded up Gary's Camaro and saw an oil puddle from a previous cars pass, which may have been the cause.

Your day could have been worse!

#12 ·
Ya it was working my last time out (September) but I was down on power. I corrected a couple of issues, could feel a big difference driving it on the street, and was looking to get back to my typical numbers this weekend. Didn't happen. :turn: With more power and poor track conditions my weak link is again traction. As Ryan said, there are many cars making much more power than me and they hook on radials. My MTs have only about 50 runs, so they should be good. I need to do some suspension tuning. :smle/mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.