Chevy Nova Forum banner

Spring Compressor?

13K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  jaynova 
#1 ·
I need to remove the front coil springs on my '64. My question is which type of spring compressor works the best? The 2 piece type that clamps on the outside of the spring or the one piece style that goes through the inside center of the spring. Where is the best place to find a quality tool to do the job?
Thanks,
Len:)

#2 ·
you can remove the springs with out compressor putting them back is abit of a challenge. raise car and support on stands after removing wheels and tie rods from spindles and remove shocks. take lower balljoint nut and loosen it do not remove at this time loosen up lower comtrol arm bushing mount bolt. support lower contrlo arm with floor jack and remove and seperate balljoint lower jack until all pressure is off the spring. use a large pry bar and you can pop them out, of course be careful but you can get them out

#6 ·
Autozone is worthless for this application. They gave me those MacPherson strut spring compressors. They said that was all they had. They were completely useless. Getting my springs in required me doing things the dangerous way: A pry bar and a couple of heavy duty ratchet straps. I wouldn't recommend that way to anyone though. I should've just got the right tool rather than risk injuring myself or worse yet, damaging my car.:rolleyes:

#7 ·
Most springs can be done without any problems and without a spring compressor. I installed Moroso trick springs and had to use an internal compressor as the spring was so long. Doesn't hurt to hook the spring to a scrap piece of chain and strap it or bolt it to the frame. Those springs coming out can kill or injure a person very easily.

#9 ·
I've changed several sets of front coils recently and have rented internal spring compressors from O'reilly as well as AutoZone. After having several of these release tension and "pop" as I was walking across the shop with the compressed spring in my hand, I called the MAC Tool man. He brought one by my office for $100. I asked, what's the diff between the $30 compressor and the $100 compressor. He replied, "the $100 one won't kill you". He was right, worked first time, no issues. Best $100 I ever spent.
JMHO
ND

#15 ·
I've changed several sets of front coils recently and have rented internal spring compressors from O'reilly as well as AutoZone. After having several of these release tension and "pop" as I was walking across the shop with the compressed spring in my hand, I called the MAC Tool man. He brought one by my office for $100. I asked, what's the diff between the $30 compressor and the $100 compressor. He replied, "the $100 one won't kill you". He was right, worked first time, no issues. Best $100 I ever spent.

JMHO

ND

Same here, this one spun and just barely got me! Tore just the tip of the glove off, if it got more of my finger it could have removed the tip of my finger instead!

Sent while texting and drag racing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.