Chevy Nova Forum banner

67 Nova 5.3L LS swap

84K views 190 replies 46 participants last post by  Little Red Wagon! 
#1 ·
here we go again:rolleyes::yes::D
I just picked up the motor and trans today:yes: I'll start stripping down the motor tomorrow:yes: I'll be putting an LS1 intake on this one:yes:

what a mess!!!!:eek:

See less See more
#125 ·
The throttle blade being that close to the MAF disturbes the airflow through the MAF which causes incorrect readings so the computor is making fueling decisions on bad info. The motor will run it just won't be right under certain circumstances (especially WOT) it will run fat or lean in different areas.

For instance when we datalogged my MAF readings they were showing airflow rates at just over 425 crank hp, but the motor is actually closer to 375.

I would strongly recomend having the engine properly tuned as the factory tune gives way to much up to compromise smog, longevity and mileage. The factory spark tables for a truck motor are a joke. There are serious HP and mileage gains to be had from a good tune as well as retuning the trans for proper shift points and feel.

#132 ·
wooooooo!!! I fired her up today for the first time!!!:D:D:D I only let it run long enough to make sure the drive by wire gas pedal worked, I revved her up a few good times:cool: there's no coolant in the radiator yet and she's still straight headers:yes: but it runs!!!! wooooo! I'll fill it up with coolant tomorrow and hook up the shift linkage to make sure the trans works:yes: I'll post a video up tomorrow:yes:

#140 ·
Sorry guys, no start up video today:no: all of the sudden she doesn't want to start:( It sounds like it wants to start and kinda catches so I was pretty sure it was getting spark:yes: I hooked up my fuel pressure test gauge to the fuel rail and found out that I'm now only getting 2lbs of fuel pressure:eek: I remember that David_H had a similar issue when using a cheapo corvette fuel filter purchased on Amazon. Guess where I bought mine for $17.00:rolleyes: so tomorrow I'll go out and buy the new GM one and see what happens:yes: It's like they say "buy cheap, buy often":eek:

#151 ·
Try plugging or pinching off the return line and see if the pressure comes up. this will allow you to confirm it's not the filter. Make SURE you don't have a leak/stuck injector etc that's bleeding off the pressure. Confirm you've got 12+ volts at the pump.

#152 ·
I'm running a tank setup from Rock Valley, the fuel pump only has an inlet and outlet. I was having a fuel pressure bleeding off issue with the TPI also. I'm starting to think that it's the pump. I found out that since I bought a pump for a TPI originally that it only has 47 psi not the 58 that an LS needs. So either way, I need a new pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.