Chevy Nova Forum banner

TomM's 1966 Wagon, LS1 Project.....

163K views 510 replies 108 participants last post by  350ss 
#1 · (Edited)
About Jan of 2010, I picked up an extremely clean 66 original wagon. It needed the usual floorpans, but the spare tire well was there, and not rotted. The previous owner had sanded the car, so the surface rust you see, is purely cosmetic. The more I tore in to the car, the more I found out it really was a solid as I suspected, so I have a pretty good canvas to start with.... :D

Fast forward to Oct/Nov 2010. Finally got the old floor pans cut out, and the new ones fitted. It took me a while, as body work is definitely not my calling. In the meantime, I was slowly stripping the car, to get it ready for body work. I also built a rotisserie during that time. I finally got the car on the rotisserie today, and low and behold, it didn't break, and I was able to rotate the car easily.... :eek:

The plan is of course the venerable LS1 from a 2004 GTO, 4L60E, 8.2 10 bolt, 3:55 posi, and without a doubt the full Church Boy's Racing "massage"... upper and lower arms, rack and crossmember, steering arms, sway bar, 2" dropped rear leaf springs,and the CBR/Stainlessworks headers. I am also doing the LS brake swap, front and rear 12" crossdrilled and slotted rotors, using the CBR front caliper brackets.

It's going to be a slow and steady build, as I already have a running hotrod, so no need to kill mysef on this one. Here are a few pictures of the car, and progress to date....I'll be updating as I have something to add.....

T,

The wagon, as she arrived.....

As she sets today.....

And last but not least...the bullet..... :D

See less See more
#435 ·
One word.... Beautiful.

Hope the interior comes out to your liking, as I am sure the exterior did.

As for the door panels are gonna go for an original look to them or those custom styled ones? I prefer the OG's, IMHO.

#438 ·
I was going back with the original, but the wife wants a slightly custom touch.....I'll have to see what the upholsterer offers, but nothing real fancy or retro, just some nice clean lines....

Hey Tom I have one question. The steering wheel, are you going to use that one or another one?
I am using that wheel, I don't have another one.....

T,

#440 ·
Slowly getting the interior worked out. Think I am just going to go with stock right now, need to have the headliner installed. Haven't been driving it much except around the neighbor hood, working out a few bugs. Car is running a little too hot for me, around 190. Other car ran at 170-175 all day long. Going to rework the steam vent and see what happens.

Runs like a scalded dog....the 3" CBR pipes and mufflers have a unique sound to them, and really come alive when you hit it, just cruising around is very quiet.

She's all but done really, just no real progress to show.

T,

#459 ·
Thanks John, glad to see you back on your build. I used a Covan insert and Speedhut gauges. They make two kinds, standard and programmable. Used the standard, as I didn't need the boatload of options offered by the others.

car projects???:devil:
Yep, doing a LS3/4L70E swap in a 66 for a member.....I'll get a build thread up once we get rolling good....

Hey Tom, the car looks GREAT! I talked to you about a year and a half ago when I thought about selling my wagon. After seeing your front clip photos, I may abandon the front clip from TCI/Heidts. Man that paint color is outstanding too!
Thanks. You should seriously consider Church Boys Racing components. I cannot say enough about fit, finish and function. The build I am doing now is a total CBR component build....very quality parts.....give Chuck a call, you won't regret it...

Great looking ride dude. awesome.:yes:
Thanks man....

T,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.