Chevy Nova Forum banner

Am I Missing Something Here?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  kimrobertson 
#1 ·
My front seatbelt/shoulder harness setup has no guide from where they mount on the floor just behind the driver'sseat. It's just bolted on and hanging. I have gotten the guides for the top of the headrests (not installed yet) but wonder if I'm supposed to have guides from the back floor too. Anyone know if I should have these? If so any pictures of what they look like? What years would work right in my 79? I've included 2 pictures of my setup-one from inside and one from outside.

FROM INSIDE
[/IMG]
FROM OUTSIDE
[/IMG]

See less See more
#6 ·
I believe Philip once xplained that the 78 and 79 are bolted direct to the rocker as yours. Prior to 78 there was one retractor on top and another on the floor. The headrest or seat-side guide is just there to keep it tidy and easy to reach without twisting back. Its also useful if you have the original seat adjuster plate (the plastic transparent one), as it butts with the guide when in use and prevents the belt from chafing your neck or shoulders.

#8 · (Edited)
Do you mean you have the bases already on? You first have to slip the guide on the belt in the correct side of the guide. Then ust snap in the guides with the belts inside them in the big hole, with the leading edge of the guide to the front of the car.

If the guide is tight, youre good. If the guide is loose and snaps easily off, you have to insert a very small Philips screw in the little hole in the middle to open it up slightly. I believe this depends on a slight variation in plastic manufacturing quality.

To remove guide, carefuly pry it off with a small flat screwdriver.

Check the Nova catalogue for 76 and 77 they have pretty good pics. They have them at novaresource.com

#9 ·
Thanks Daniel! Looked it over and see what you mean. Also found a couple helpful pictures on google. It didn' t have any guides at all when I bought the car so I bought new ones and wasn't sure how they go on. Now I see. Question: Once installed, is the guide supposed to pivot slightly as the shoulder harness is moved or just be stationary?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.