Chevy Nova Forum banner

Column confusion

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PCPete 
#1 ·
What a mess I have... So here goes... I have a 1971 Nova that has a automatic trans. with a column shiftier. I bought a 75-76 column shiftier with tilt and floor shiftier,but, the 75-76 column is longer (steering box must have been on the front side cross frame) so how can I make this work. I have both columns mostly apart but I can't figure how to get the shifting collar off of either one.

Yours truly lost:(

#2 ·
Yes, the 75-79 Novas did have the steering box mounted up at the front of the subframe ahead of the engine crossmember. I think the column itself is about the same length as the 69-74 columns but 75-79's have an added intermediate shaft to join the column to the box.

I haven't personally done this, but I remember reading a post here on Steves about someone who put a 75-79 column in a 69-74 Nova. I believe they simply removed the coupler flange from the lower end of the intermediate shaft and re-installed it directly onto the lower splined end of the column. Not sure what they used to secure it in place though.

#4 ·
Tooth off

There is a slider operated by key rotation that is connected to a rod that goes to the ignition switch on the column. If you have that slider a tooth off it limits the rotation of the key.....not that it happened to me. :rolleyes:
Thing is you have to take so much apart to get to it, then you'll probably have to readjust the ignition switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.