Chevy Nova Forum banner

build sheet

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  WILMASBOYL78 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, can anyone tell me if I'm right...I found a build sheet in my 71 nova and at the top right hand corner it says 350 ci. And 350 turbo with 4 barrel and 270 horse power...would that be the ss package??

#2 ·
The 270 HP 350 engine would indicate that the car was originally an SS.

But, I'm not sure what you're looking at. Chassis broadcast sheets (a.k.a. 'build sheets') don't list the drive train in plain English. The format is a series of boxes with coded descriptions in them. Then, somewhere in the middle of the page (in 1971) there was a 'strip' that listed all the options with their production (RPO) codes.

Somewhere in that strip, you should see something like:
L48 - V8 engine 350
M38 - TH 350 trans
Z26 - SS equipment
Disclaimer - Since I don't have a '71 Nova build sheet handy, the descriptions to the right of the 3-digit RPO codes won't be exactly correct, but you should get the idea. Here's one for a '71 Chevelle SS:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...YItUqG9H_LA4AOT5YHwCg&ved=0CDoQ9QEwBA&dur=498

#5 ·
Here are some of the common codes found on the Fisher docs....these codes do not always match the RPO codes that would be on the window sticker or salesperson's book....note ZL3 is the SS body conversion. It is unlikely you will see a code for an automatic trans....the Fisher sheet would have noted something D55 for a console...not the type of auto trans.

here is a link to some codes:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89748

A02 - TINTED WINSHIELD
A04 - TINTED SIDEGLASS L
A05 - TINTED SIDEGLASS R
A39 - FRONT AND REAR SEAT BELTS
A85 - SHOULDER HARNESS DELUXE
B80 - ROOF DRIP RAILS
B90 - DOOR AND WINDOW FRAME MOLDING
C08 - EXTERIOR SOFT TRIM ROOF COVERING
C50 - REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER
D33 - REMOTE CONTROL OUTSIDE MIRROR
J80 - VACUUM RESERVE TANK
ZJ1 - CUSTOM INTERIOR
ZJ2 - CUSTOM EXTERIOR
ZL3 - SS PACKAGE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.