Chevy Nova Forum banner

Has my car been lowered?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  friskiersaucer 
#1 · (Edited)
Newbie here....

not the best shot of my new project car, but I was curious if you were able to tell if the car has been lowered at all?

The PO has done some changes to the front, but not able to tell what/how much. It has a BB, so he only said "Has BB springs". The brakes were also converted to factory disk brakes with new spindles, calipers, etc.

See less See more
#3 ·
From what I can see of the springs, they are compressed a ton as the vehicle sits.

I'm looking to lower the vehicle just a little up front and was considering doing Hotchkis springs to drop the front. I'm also looking to stiffen things up a little for performance reasons.

#5 ·
Insted of going with a drop spring, I suggest going with a stock height spring and drop spindles, The car will handle better and have more room before bottoming out. I went through the same thing with my nova and I had to return my drop springs from CPP because the car bottomed out easy w/ big block springs in a small block car, also when I jacked the car up the springs were soo short that they would come dislodged! I returned them and went with stock height and drop spindle and the ride was a lot better but wasn't as stiff as I would have liked, I then changed out my Monroe sensatracs and went with some KYB's and now it handles like a dream and never bottoms out and is very low!!

#8 ·
I need to do shocks all the way around. The front only has 1 shock (drivers side). No shocks in the rear.

The rear leafs are new 5 leaf units. You can still see the shipping tags on them. No shock mounts on the rear, so I have to address that. I was thinking about relocating the shocks inward.

I was going to originally do drop spindles, but most of my reading on this site said spindles are junk and go with spring.

#13 ·
That always works if your not interested in spending a ton of money! But since you have warn out springs I suggest that if you do this you don't go cheap on the shocks or it will bottom out a ton! (KYB's)

CPP makes a really good drop spindle that wont break the bank!

BTW, when your done sanding that fender make sure you use Epoxy primer!!! If you use any other type of primer than it wont stick very well since it is bare metal!!! Epoxy will seal the metal and prevent rust! I use a brand of primer called "Custom Shop" there prices are great for the quality that you get!
http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/kspepoprime.aspx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.