Chevy Nova Forum banner

what 10 bolt rear end has these dimensions

4K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  darricks77nova 
#1 ·
found the box for the rear axle oil seal the on the guy had put in was an SKF 538565 the inside diameter is 1.399 and an out side diameter of 1.964 and width of 15/64 now the reason im asking this is because i have tried to find this seal at local auto parts stores with no luck yet the housing looks to be an 8.5 housing but can not find any numbers on the rear end or axle tubes that is why i am hoping this might help me please any help would be greatfull

#3 ·
If it's an 8.5 housing the axle seal should be an 8660S. The O.D. is 2.303", I.D. is 1.315" without distorting the seal lip, and .460" thick. This is measuring a brand new national seal off my shelf.

Hope that helps

Miles

#4 ·
After thinking about it it sounds like the seal from a saver bearing (aka repair bearing) If this is the case those seals were not meant to be changed, those bearings are for temporary use until a replacement axle can be found.

Miles

#6 ·
Wait....What?

If you are looking at the seals to determine the housing, that seems backward to me. Which seal are you talking about? From the sound of things it's an axle seal on a repair bearing. JB, if the bearing is pressed into the housing properly, why do you say they are temporary? I'm not challenging your knowledge, just trying to understand. Understand I'm looking at this as a c clip axle, so the bearing goes into the tube with a tight press fit. My understanding is they are to save the housing when a bearing has damaged the housing a bit by spinning or a bad removal. The bearings themselves are a bit longer than stock and properly installed should ride flat on the axle. As long as the axle surface is good, the setup should last a long time. However, if the bearing surface on the axle is galled, then it's a get me home.
Derrick, pictures are really important here. It may be a matter if replacing that bearing which can be a challenge to find, but a whole new housing with gears is another whole challenge. Let's have a look at some pictures.

#7 ·
The repair bearings can temporarily fix 2 issues. One is a slightly damaged axle and 2 is a damaged housing end. They are a temporary fix because the bearing is narrower than factory and the seals tend to puke after about a year in most cases. Some of the better ones have an inner & outer seal but still the bearing is still inferior to the original style. They were designed to get you back on the road if you are where replacement parts may not be readily available.

Oh and if you can take a picture of the housing & housing end where the seal goes we may be able to wrap up this mystery for you.

Miles

#8 ·
8.2 housing takes a 1 1/8" socket on the pinion and the 8.5 takes a 1 1/4". Now after rebuilding my 8.5 with a Motive install kit(I believe) my 8.5 takes a 1 5/16" nut on the pinion shaft.

Like stated post a picture up and these guys will tell you real quick what you have.

#9 ·
i will try been having problems getting pics up may have to up load video of it and yes i am puking gear oil at least on the passenger side i was going to replace the seal see if that fixes it but like i said before no numbers any where on this accept for a number sequence that i have put on here before think it was something like 1234 or something but yea i will try to get a video up better than most pics lol have to do it tomarrow tho it is dark and my only camera is my phone :mad: wish i had light lol

#12 ·
Pictures

Thanks for the video. What we are looking for is something a bit more specific; like of the seal that's the problem, the end of the axle tube from the end and side. What we are trying to understand is what the problem area looks like and the condition of all that. I know that means taking some things apart, but to understand what the issues and opportunities are.

#13 ·
k il have to wait till i can get some jack fluid for the ol jack as it seems my rear end aint the only thing leaking il probably try to get a new housing something that i know what it is mine has no means of finding out what gear or anything is with out pulling it apart what gear oil will work best for it for i will put oil in it till i get a new one i really dont wanna trust something with a temp bearing in it i found a mustang cobra 2 rear end for sale around where i live now is this rear able to be used on the 77

#16 ·
yea i know 8.5 but theres no numbers to tell me what i got as far as ratio and carrier just wandered what all i can do if the rear end housing is scored to beyond then what do i do should i do the 8 inch cobra II rear or would i be just askin for trouble i do have a freind that has a 73 hatch back nova not sure the condition i think it is pretty rusted if so may ask him if i can get it for parts and such

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.