Chevy Nova Forum banner

Steves 70 rebuild

98K views 411 replies 81 participants last post by  SSNovaSS396 
#1 ·
I finally found the motivation to start on my car. I just moved 8 months ago and have been very busy painting and getting things done around the new house. My plan four years ago was to just get it on the road for a while and then do a re-build on it but..... I am stripping it all down and will be re-placing all the sheet metal ect. I will post pics as I move along. shouldn't be that bad as I already re-built everything except the body. I did find a huge mice nest:mad: Tear down was two days. Should have the motor out this week.:yes:Can't wait to start on the body.

Steves70SS

See less See more
#7 ·
inside roof pics

After looking at the inside roof good, I was thinking about taking off the brown card board looking stuff and replacing it with Dynamat. It only has one small spot that I think got wet and came apart. Is this something I should change or leave it alone:confused: Summers can get hot and I don't want any thing falling down when I'm finished.

Steve

#8 ·
The headliner material is a bear to get off. If you scrape it off be sure to wear a mask. From the looks of it I would just repair the one area and leave the rest. A friend of mine had the same thing in his camaro and we just used some spray insulation and spread it flat. That was 6 years ago and no problems yet. I installed reflectix on the roof of my 69, but the cardboard stuff was much worse than yours.

#11 ·
More teardown

Spent some time today taking out the front and rear glass. My son helped me with a picture frame wire going back and fourth all the way around. Worked really well. I'm glad I pulled the glass as there are some spots that will need some work. I hope to have the rest of the dash out by the weekend. I'm thinking of renting a big compressor from taylor rental and buying a sand blaster and blasting it out in the back yard.Anyway here are some pics from today.

Steve

#14 ·
Dash panel

Yes, I will be replacing the top panel with a new one. I think the rust is just on the top part. I will see more when I get it off. I checked with taylor rental today and they only have a commercial blaster. I think it will be too strong as he said I would have to stand back far.So I may just bring it some where to get it done.

steve

#18 ·
Major Surgery

Thought I would post an update on some work I did tonight. I ended up cutting the whole cowl panel out and will be replacing it with the new parts shown.I didn't want to fill it with anything but new metal. As soon as I finish grinding the rest out I will weld in the new stuff and post some more pics.
The new cowl panel is a Goodmark 69 camaro part. The part is the same but will have to weld a piece on each side for the astro vents that nova's don't have. Should not be a big deal.:no:

Steves70SS

#19 ·
Holes filled

My cowl panel is just about ready to weld in. The two holes are filled and just need to remove the primer around the edges and put some weld-thru primer on. Can't wait to get this finished and move on.This part has seemed to take forever to finish.:(

Steves70ss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.