Chevy Nova Forum banner

68 Nova torque drive?

10K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Ericnova 
#1 ·
Got a lead on another 68 nova but I never seen this dash before? What is a torque drive transmission? They must be rare? Are they worth any thing?

Jason

See less See more
#5 ·
Like Joe said, it's a 2 speed manual shift trans. You had to shift them up and down as you drove the car. If you leave it in high, it takes off in high.. Put it behind a V8 and it doesn't last long. They put them in 4 and 6 cylinder Novas as well as other GM cars. It's junk unless you find someone needing one for a restoration. I am not 100% sure but I don't believe they had a kick down (detent cable) like a powerglide or other hydramatic trans has.

Tommy :)

#12 ·
Like Joe said, it's a 2 speed manual shift trans. You had to shift them up and down as you drove the car. If you leave it in high, it takes off in high.. Put it behind a V8 and it doesn't last long. They put them in 4 and 6 cylinder Novas as well as other GM cars. It's junk unless you find someone needing one for a restoration. I am not 100% sure but I don't believe they had a kick down (detent cable) like a powerglide or other hydramatic trans has.

Tommy :)
While you may not think they lasted when behind an 8 cylinder, when rebuilt correctly with the right parts they were and still are today prized racing transmissions. Most cars are so fast they don't need more than 2 gears to get down the 1/4 or 1/8 mile.

#10 ·
The torque drive had no cooler lines and had to be manually shifted. I once drove one onto the trailer, wish I woulda drove it some to see what it was like.

There was also the SuperTurbine 300. I had one in my 64 GTO. It shifted like a normal automatic. I swapped the converter for a normal one and ran some lines to the rad. cooler.
I think Chevy just called them an aircooled powerglide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.