Chevy Nova Forum banner

Tire Pressure Decal - 70 Nova SS

11K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  Schonyenko2 
#1 ·
Can someone show me the exact location for the tire pressure decal on a 70 SS?? Is it in the glove box, or in the door well?

#3 · (Edited)
Drivers door near the blue GM sticker...can possibly get a photo and measurements if you are not in a rush..

wilma
That would be fantastic - so the door jam on the 70 Nova did have the mark of Exc. GM logo? I don't think so...

#4 ·
I think you are getting confused between the two blue stickers. The square decal is foil based, and has a large GM on it - this decal stopped in '68, maybe sooner.

The '70 model year started a new decal, a 2x3" 'label' without adhesive, and a clear, adhesive backed, 'overlay'. This label was also blue, and was affixed between two raised ribs on the door frame. The car's vin and build week/yr was typed on this label, while the other information was pre-printed. There is a small GM in the corner of the label. This is the correct one for a '70.

The tire pressure decal that you need goes on the door frame as well, but at the top where the window frame comes in. The correct code on the lable would be a 'BA' - provided it's the same as the '70 Deuces.

M

#8 ·
I'd get that DW verified by an original stickered car, not saying it's wrong - but I have had to change a few over the years once I laid eyes on a genny ;) Somebody here has to have an original condition SS350 car with the tire label still affixed. The problem is that rainwater runs down the door jamb and damages the very top of the decal - exactly where the code is!!
M

#16 ·
DW sticker...

Found a DW sticker in my stuff...tire sizes are listed as F70 x 14 and F70 x 15..??? how does that relate to Nova..???

I will check stickers on the orange car today and see what it has...

wilma

#17 ·
This is what I am showing for that part number

1971-72 NOVA SS WITH REGULAR WHEEL TIRE PRESSURE DECAL GM PART # 3990523

I show 2 different correct numbers for 1970 Nova SS

3960699 - 1969-70 SS with F70 series tires ( DW)
3972284 - SS with F70 x 14,15 or F60 tires ( AO)

There is also a 3990537 listed ( BP ) but looks like a non-SS tag

They look like this:

#18 ·
tire sticker..

Went to storage shop today and checked the sticker on the Orange Cooler...looks like it says BA at the top...maybe it's BP..?? It is coming out in the day light tomorrow...I will put on my special "good " glasses and confirm...of course this is a 6cyl..non SS car..so??....still don't understand why the F70 would be correct for Nova application...I have some inquiries in for other original cars..more to follow.

wilma

#19 ·
Yes, the BA or BP is for Non-SS cars - that includes the Yenko Deuce -

From what I can see, the F70 seems to have been standard equipment on the SS models - even though some sources list the tires as E70 - thats a little small on a 14x7 rim - E model tires would have been 78's - thats a 14x6 rim and a non-SS tire size

But then again, During this resto, I have come across so many different stories, so many different "factual" listings - there really is no way to tell what was really standard on any Nova - because there were so many exceptions by the factory, and then the dealers did what ever they wanted...

There is stuff on my car, that I know for a fact was installed by the factory, but no listing of it on the build sheet, even though it had a designated RPO -

Like for instance, I show 4 different types of "CORRECT" air cleaners for the small block SS - One is a flat chrome lid on an enclosed snorkel breather, then there is a raised chrome lid on a snorkle breather ( you can see this air cleaner in the "hood off" Chevy add for the Nova - then there was a raised painted air cleaner - and I have recently come across a 396 air cleaner on a small block and the original factory window sticker has it listed as an addition - and of course, the dealers all had access to chrome goodies like valve covers and air cleaners, so those are actually period correct in some cases...

I have decided that obvious stuff that needed to be replaced be replaced with like parts - but I am finding it very hard, because everyone has a different opinion, on what is acceptable as a repop part... I just opened 3 different items from Classic Industries today, all made by OER - and none of them are right - how many have replaced the SS emblem on the grille, just to find out, that the repop's studs are too short to make it thru the grille.. yet they swear up and down it's correct...

Today I went to put a new gas tank in my car, and is a perfect match, except the vented cap that originally came on the car, and a brand new repop cap will not close on the filler neck - so much for restoring this thing correctly....

#20 ·
Nova tires..

E70 x 14 wide ovals were the std. tire on all SS Novas..68-70...redlines were the base tire in 68-69 and the whitelines in 1970....F70's are a better choice for looks and performance..but they all came with E70's...that's why i don't understand the sticker...looked at my Canadian paperwork for our red 70 car...they list a tire pressure sticker on the option list...RPO ZK8..they also list E70-14-B (2+2) TIRE-HWY-BB-WHITE STRIPE...

I have an original sticker like the one I posted that came with my red 70...I think that DW might be correct for 69..not sure...the listed tire sizes still bug me..:confused:

wilma

#22 ·
The biggest tire you could get in '70 was an E-70-14. The Deuces got the E-70's bec/ they came with 7" rims.

OER stuff is original by name only, it's a sweet way to say 'repop'. The old GM stuff is the way to go with most parts.

BTW, 99% of Novas won't have the actual 'buildsheet' in them. What you probably have is the body broadcast sheet from the Fisher Body plant. This sheet is not intended to have all of the car's options on it, only stuff that was pertinent to the Fisher plant - usually stuff that required extra holes, pegs, etc...

Your gas tank saga sounds like a mixed(aka, matched) set, ie; a non-vented tank with a non-vented cap, or a vented tank with a vented cap. One of the two has to be vented, but it can't be 'neither' and it can't be 'both'. Clear as mud?? :D The lip on the tank neck dictates the application, most supply companies are notorious for getting it wrong - ask us how we know this! :rolleyes:

M

#23 ·
tire sticker..

Checked the sticker on the 69 L78 today..code on label was DT....same style as that DW label only it lists E70 tires....perhaps this is correct for 70 BB also..??? sticker on orange car is definately BA and it is the original item...

wilma

#24 ·
Please tell me it's the tall narrow version of the sticker?

I forget the code for the Deuces, but an original car showed up at the reunion this year with it's sticker intact - not to mention Schoneye's yellow Deuce as well. Where's he been anyway - 'mr original deuce' :D

M

#26 ·
see! I want the right decal, but everyone including the people who sell them list them all as different... there has got to be a place to get a 1970 SS tire pressure decal that is right

#27 ·
Way to go Mayor! No wet T-shirt judging this year? ;)

I must say that I've never seen the 'square' decal on a Nova before, early or late. I've only seen the tall, narrow ones. I think the two letter codes may change around a bit based on tire options chosen, but the style of the decal is/was fairly consistent.

I've purchased mine from Osbourn in GA.

M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.