Chevy Nova Forum banner

My stock column saver mod for R&P

43K views 89 replies 42 participants last post by  NickeR 
#1 · (Edited)
I decided that I wanted to re-use the stock 63 column instead of buying a $400 tilt column. Money just was not in the budget. After seeing whats currently available for this mod I decided I did not like the fact that none of the options kept the steering shaft located "in and out" and the shaft still relies on the ancient stock upper bearing in the plastic turn signal switch for supporting the upper part of the shaft.

I cut the shaft at the base of the box to keep the most available for the new u-joint.

After sawing off the base of the column I measured the I.D. of the tube at 1.87"

I went to the local bearing house and found a bearing with a 3/4 I.D and a locking collar, with a 1.86 O.D. and an external snap ring.

I purchased two bearings, one for the bottom and one went as far up the column tube as possible.

Here is the column base, you can see the outer snap ring keeping the bearing from pulling up into the column. You can also see the set screws keeping the shaft locked to the inner race

This scallop is where the new upper bearing stops at and I ran the drill screws in under the bearing to keep it in place. It cannot go up or down at this point and this bearing takes the load off of the tiny upper bearing in the OEM turn signal switch.

Column is complete

New floor plate I made out of some scrap 1/8" steel. Bored a 2" hole and the column fits tight

Done except for welding a couple of tabs on the column to bolt to the floor plate.

See less See more
#43 ·
thanks to Ryan and this thread... yesterday David and i went to a standard, regular ol'swapmeet in Victorville, Ca. and while walking through the isles i spotted a couple boxes on a table with collard bearings... "Hey, this looks like what Ryan was talking about!" i logged onto SNS with my phone, double checked Ryan's info and compared with the bearing in hand... sure enough it was an ER12 bearing... FOR 5 BUCKS!!! :D

i've seen them go from $20-$45.00!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Ryan!!! :thumbsup:

#47 ·
Thats great, im happy that this thread is helping fellow nova nuts out! It was just an idea I had after staring at my stock column for a while. Its a good feeling to be able to say "i did that" instead of just buying everything and bolting it on.

#49 ·
I haven't gotten as far as r & p steering yet, but in prep for that I pulled the column that had the shift arms cut off and filled in and used an extra Column that i had

I had to drill a bunch of spot welds at the bottom to remove some of the 3 on the tree stuff when I get the cbr lower column support I will figure a way to seal the bottom until im ready to cut it for the r & p install

next I used two of the timken er12's one just inside of the firewall and one just below the wire indent on the column

Now the shaft is centered inside the column

And the shifter collar and turn signal housing fit together with an even gap and the turn signal assembly just slips right in no rubbing or binding

Very good mod thanks Ryan

#50 ·
if the guys want to run this set up with the column shift it's the same as a floor shift. everything as far as the column goes together just fine with the ER12 bearing and retaining the column shift levers on the column... mine is all together, mocked up in my living room...

#51 ·
Column Mods

I've been watching this thread for a bit now. I really appreciate the ingenuity of this mod. I did not want to spend $4-$500 for a new column plus the $200 for R&P adapter kit when the original still functions. Although mine is a 66 with column shift (tube internals had to be removed) the basic mods will be the same. Thanks!

#52 ·
I've been watching this thread for a bit now. I really appreciate the ingenuity of this mod. I did not want to spend $4-$500 for a new column plus the $200 for R&P adapter kit when the original still functions. Although mine is a 66 with column shift (tube internals had to be removed) the basic mods will be the same. Thanks!
This column was also a 3 on the tree column shift. Thanks and good luck!

#53 ·
Steering Colum Mod

Thanks for the great write up. I have completed this mod on my steering column does anyone have an idea how to keep the shift collar stationary after all the internals on the column are removed? This was done on a auto column I removed and filled the area where the shifter once was.

#54 ·
Very good write up Ryan, I am in the process of doing this for my vert.

I see you used the stainless U joints. On these I have one question. The joints I bought have 2 set screws, one short and one that looks to go all the way through the shaft.

Did you drill all the way through the shaft or cut off the set screw to go into a shallow hole? Seems to me that drilling through would weaken the steering column and risk breaking while driving.

#55 ·
I drilled the holes about 1/8" deep. I agree that drilling through would weaken the shaft. The first pic in the first post you can kinda see it. I don't remember having to shorten a set screw but it's been a while. I might have bought one shorter.

#56 ·
I will say it again, this thread is great!!:yes:

I just finished doing the column in the vert and want to add to this the things I did differently and some more processes for saving a few dollars.

First, I mad my own DD center shaft using a piece of steering column. Used a 3" cut off wheel with my drill press to cut the D's.

I also lowered the upper bearing an inch or so to an existing hole on the "up side" of the tube, tapped threads in the hole and used a cut off stainless bolt to secure the bearing in place. For a little cleaner look.

Otherwise everything else is the same. Here are a few pics. I also painted the exposed portions of the sheft's.

Thanks Ryan for the write up you did, gave me lots of inspiration!!!:yes:

#61 ·
Drilling the hole through the shaft won't weaken the shaft beyond it's full intents and purposes....not even close. The long bolt is SUPPOSE to go all the way through, it's a safety deal. The short bolt is there so the shaft doesn't have any movement within that end of the joint.

#66 ·
Hey guys
Just got my bearings to do this mod and I removed my
Steering shaft from the column.
I tried to slide the bearings onto the shaft but the shaft is a bit too big.
Are you guys grinding the shaft a bit?

Also this is a 65 3 on the tree column, how do you remove the shifter guys from
The column?
I had to grind the end of mine down a bit. Wish I had a lathe and could make it look smoother/nicer, but hitting it lightly with a grinder did the trick, nonetheless.

I literally pulled my column apart (stock Powerglide auto) and pulled out the shifter pieces that I didn't want/need. Take good notes or pictures when you pull it apart. After a day I totally forgot the order it went back together and had to go searching.

#77 ·
Excellent upgrade !

Is this modification possible on a stock steering shaft ( not cut) .I have always thought the upper bearings sitting in a plastic turn signal switch were pretty flimsy. I love this up grade . I am going to give it a go . I just ordered 2 of the timken er 12s off eBay Thank you for the great idea!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.