Chevy Nova Forum banner

Auto to 4 speed swap

8K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Timeslip 
#1 ·
Hey guys, its been a while since i have posted and i have made great progress...Chopping it to bits further and further is progress right??:eek:

Anyway i just had a question about how much of an undertaking it would be to convert the 3-speed automatic to a 4 speed manual.

#2 · (Edited)
Just need a clutch pedal, z bar, bellhousing, flywheel, trans., shifter, clutch, pressure plate, pilot and throw out bearing. The driveshaft, croossmember, and mount will all interchange between the 4 speed and a turbo 350 automatic.

#3 ·
Might need the bracket that attaches to the subframe and holds the end of the Z-Bar and speed-o cable if location where cable connects to 4-speed is different than th350. Have to plug Radiator a/t outlets. Does your car have a center console, if so you will need a few pieces there also to switch from a/t shifter to 4 spped shifter. I'm sure I'm missing something else. It would be nice to fine someone who has a factory set-up that is switching the other way. If I could find someone like that, I would purchase their set-up and make the change also. Good Luck

#6 ·
After researching this myself and speaking with a few members, $2000.00 is a good price to figure on(includes used Muncie). Thats doing the work yourself and finding a few parts used. A rebuilt Muncie can go for as much as $1500.00 itself.

#9 ·
I'm considering swapping to a manual in my 71.

I know everyone goes for a Muncie transmission, but what are the other options? Would a manual from a later model car be able to be used? Like a transmission from a mid-90s Camaro?

What about a Saginaw 4 speed?

#11 ·
Dollar for dollar, the Muncie is the best tranny for a swap, most newer trannies aren't strong enough or are very pricey. TKO, Richmond, and Keasler(sp?) are over $2000, and as high as $3000 plus the floor needs to be modified, plus any other non stock items that are needed. A good muncie M21 or 20 can be had under $800 and all the accessories with clutch should be about $1000, but the information on how to, is everywhere, as are the parts and pieces with no fabbing or trick parts needed!:no:

I've been debating a 5 spd swap, but don't want to modify my floor or hand out $3500.

#13 ·
They're the same length, but there are some that use a 400 yoke I believe (later Muncies, 70 up), and the other difference, is the speedo cable outlet maybe on the driver or passenger side.

#14 ·
If the input shaft is fine spline than the output is 32(same as a turbo 400), and vice versa on a 10 spline input shaft it is a 27 output(same as a turbo 350). You will need the tail shaft #3857584 or #3978764 for the passenger exit speedo. This will allow the correct shifter to bolt on it for your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.