Chevy Nova Forum banner

.l-79 transmission vin stamping

8K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  fastfred67 
#1 ·
where on the case were the 1966 muncie transmissions for l-79 cars stamped with the VIN number. also-were they stamped with the same characters as the engine stamp.

Thanx

#2 ·
L79 or not, Muncie's usually had the VIN code stamped on the top or side of the main case. They are frequently found near the date code stamping. As usual in those days, there was great inconsistency from plant to plant in how this was done, so there is no norm.
Bob

#3 · (Edited)
the vin # on the engine and muncie trannies were stamped with the same gang holder.at the same time.

the following picture shows my z/28 muncie trans stamp. this location and style is typical throughout the 60's.unfortunately re-stamping is becoming very popular in our hobby.therefore i have collected an extensive database on both authentic and reproduction engine and muncie stampings.

#5 ·
trans vin

my engine vin was not stamped with a gang holder and I assume the trans was vin stamped at the same time as the engine by the same person. My question is-were the two numbers the same? I have heard that sometimes the transmission only used the vin# without the year and plant suffix i.e. 6N for example. Any input??

#7 ·
The assembly plants used a gang holder to stamp both the engine and transmission with the same VIN #.

I have a '66 L-79 factory engine that has no VIN # on it. Just the engine plant assy date and engine code.

I didn't think Chevy II's got the VIN stamped on the engine/transmission until '67 or '68?

#11 ·
clarification

as I said before-my block is stamped with the year -(6) and the assembly plant (N) and the sequence #. Again-it was not stamped using a gang holder-it is obvious that each number and letter was stamped individually because they are not perfectly straight. I have seen other blocks which are stamped exactly like mine. I agree that corvette blocks were gang stamped but I don't think that nova blocks were. I also believe that only the hipo engines were serial # stamped. My question concerns the transmission stamping. My transmission only has the sequence number stamped on it-not the year and assembly plant stamps. again-they are not gang stamped. My question is this-- is my car an abberation or is this the norm for 66 L-79 cars?

#14 ·
trans vin

Aztec-

I agree-the engine code was stamped at the foundry after final assembly with a gang holder.
And you are right that the serial number characters are smaller than the engine id #'s-probably 1/8". Are you saying that your trans is also stamped with only the sequence # like mine? Thanx for the quote from the chevy by the numbers book-that verifys that only the hipo engines (327's) in 66 novas were serial numbered

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.