Chevy Nova Forum banner

New name, old member!

6K views 73 replies 12 participants last post by  LSxBody 
#1 ·
Hey guys! It's good to be back. New name but previously known as Kyle844. It's been a few years since I've really documented anything but I'm back with a new project!

Here is my '77 nova that I swapped in a Lm7/4L80e, it's been great but moving all around the country has taken a beating on the chassis. Rust has reappeared and I just don't want to deal with it anymore!

So onto my new project! I will make a separate build thread once I make some more significant progress. Picked up a $300 '77 skylark 4dr, solid body, clean interior, perfect body to swap my Nova's drivetrain into and still be able to enjoy it with my family. I'm currently tearing out all the old in preparation for the swap and have tucked the front and rear bumpers, hoping in a few weeks I can swap rearends so I can use my build 8.5".

This has been my major time consumer lately but hoping I will have enough time to get some tinkering done!

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome back.

the Buick is in great shape should make a nice sleeper :devil:

Why is the Navy chasing you?:D

Thanks Philip! Glad to see familiar faces! Yes the body is very straight, the black mark along the passenger quarter is actually just the old double sided tape from the factory trim, so that will be cleaned off and should come out looking nice and pretty! I plan to lower it a bit and run these wheels

'77 Nova lm7/4L80e
'77 Skylark sedan (future ls swap)

#4 ·
I'm currently out in the garage doing some deconstruction to the Buick, deleting everything I don't need or plan on using to make the most room I can because I plan to do a big single turbo when time/money allows. Since I won't be relying on the car for transportation I am making it very bare bones. No heat, AC, windshield washer...etc. just finished the ac removal and wow does it clear up so much space under the dash! Lots of room for electronics [emoji48]

'77 Nova lm7/4L80e
'77 Skylark sedan (future ls swap)

#9 ·
Welcome back Kyle! Looks like you've got quite the sleeper in the making if you leave the outside and interior alone. Is that the plan or are you going to make it look more like a "hot rod" as you rebuild?

Kev

Plans are to keep stock exterior and interior minus lowering it a little with some suspension goodies and some nice wheels. A blend of sleeper/protouring. Should really surprise people when I open the hood.

Poly body bushings and frame connectors are in the mail, will be installing them in a few weeks when I swap the rearends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#10 ·
Frame connectors and poly body bushings came in today! Unfortunately I work all weekend and next week. So hopefully in 2 weekends I can get out there and start swapping rearends and putting on the new parts. Any suggestions of the order to do things? Was thinking pull the rear, do the frame bushings, subframe connectors, then roll the Novas rear underneath and bolt all back together.

#15 ·
Wheels and tires are on their way. Ordered us mag ramblers in 17x7 4"bs and 17x8 4.5"bs with 225/45 and 255/45 tires. Once they come and I get them on the car I'll know how I wanna set the ride height!

#16 ·

Poly body bushings installed! Was worried about the spotwelds breaking but soaking for a week in wd40 made them real easy to get out!

Frame connectors are slowly getting in place, pulling the rear before I bolt up the rear mount.

Rear end slowly apart, just need to get the brake line off without stripping it. [emoji51] and then unbolt the springs. Swapping it with the 8.5 in my nova that has 3.73's and auburn posi.

#19 ·
A lot of work done today! Got the Nova's rear end swapped with the buicks, which allowed me to finish up the subframe connectors/poly body mount install.

Poor nova haha next up will be getting some new shocks in, the Nova had Lakewood 50/50's on it and after about 6 yrs of limited driving they were completely blown and all black. I'm going to go with kyb shocks I think. Just a stock replacement. And then swap gas tanks since the nova's is sumped, once I sell the nova shell I'll probably use those funds to go with a tanks inc setup with internal fuel pump to replace my current external walbro 255 setup.

#23 ·
mostly just time it takes to cut and install sending unit and pump in the tank. I figured for over $500 they would have a fuel pump assembly and sender installed. the other issue is they want you to install indian head gasket sealant on the rubber o rings for the sender and pump. I didnt use it. I just couldnt see putting that on a brand new gas tank. 1 it doesnt look good 2 it seems like it would be nightmare to remove if you had to in the future.

#27 ·
Wheels and tires are on! Rear ride height is perfect, tucking a little rubber and no rubbing. Will set front once I get the ls motor in and rebuild front suspension. Probably use eibach springs as I have used them for other applications and have been very happy with them. Now to the pics! Wish I could pull it out for some real pics!

Front: 17x7 us mag u111 4" bs 225/45R17

Rear: 17x8 us mag u111 4.5" bs 255/45R17

#28 ·
Any opinions on KYB excel-g (formerly gr2) vs gas adjust? Looking at the excel g but heard gas adjust are firmer, just don't know if I'll need firmer for a 90% street driven car.

#31 · (Edited)
Well, I decided to go with the kyb gas-a-just shocks. I've never had a bad experience with them (the brand) , they're easy to find, and I paid $100 for fronts and rears after a mail in rebate through Summit. That's the same price as the oem spec kyb excel-g's. Reviews say these are stiffer than stock. Hopefully it will be a good compromise between stock and a nice performance shock. I did look at the bilsteins but I decided I could use the extra funds somewhere else and ordered a poly bushing set for my upper and lower control arms. Swapping my sumped fuel tank in from the nova soon then on to the front suspension. I have shocks and bushings, will order 2nd gen fbody eibach front springs and moog upper and lower ball joints. Then it will be waiting for time to work on the car as I spend too much time at work [emoji857] I'm taking vacation next month in which I plan to do the motor and trans swap. We shall see if I can stay on track.

#36 ·
Well, I decided to go with the kyb gas-a-just shocks. I've never had a bad experience with them (the brand) , they're easy to find, and I paid $100 for fronts and rears after a mail in rebate through Summit. That's the same price as the oem spec kyb excel-g's. Reviews say these are stiffer than stock. Hopefully it will be a good compromise between stock and a nice performance shock.
I have those shocks all around on mine. I think they are great for the money. Really like them.

#32 ·
Wasn't happy with the rear bumper tuck, I felt like it didn't get the body line where the filler panel should be. Originally I decompressed the bumper shocks for the tuck, now I've removed them, drilled new mounting holes allowing it to tuck closer to the car and up as well. Much happier!

My nova's untucked rear bumper

Vs

The Buick

The inner bumper support is now flush with the rear body panel.

#34 ·
New motor mounts came in. I bought OEM ones from summit and drilled the rivets to remove the stock rubber to replace with energy suspension motor mount inserts. I have the poly trans mount as well! Also upper and lower "Proforged" ball joints arrived. Very nice looking! Just need to order my Eibach springs and I'll start the front suspension rebuild. Motor mounts are being upgraded since I need to have the lower control arm out to get to the bolts!

#35 ·
Engine mounting specs are the same as my nova. Reusing carshop inc 1" set back adapters, stock chevy clamshell mounts, ctsv oil pan. I expect everything to fit like a glove just like the nova unless the nova was an oddball or either subframe is tweaked. I hope it goes as smooth as just unbolting, swapping over, and rebolting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.