Chevy Nova Forum banner

comp cams magnum 280h vs. comp cams xe274?

14K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  6NOVA4 
#1 ·
Just like to know what you guys think will respond better in a 327 bored 30 over with a rpm air gap?

#2 ·
i like both grinds. but the 274 will def be more responsive down lower than the 280. the 280 realy pulls at the 2500 mark. and the 274 feels like it comes in around the 21-2200 mark. not that big of a differance and i think you will be happy with either one.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm not sure about the stall for the other one. I've never run that cam. I can't really give you any real world advice on that one! I have the 280 in my 64 but it's a 350 so that can change a little too. My 64 has 9.5:1 comp., 882 heads, rpm air gap, 650 dp, 4.11 gears. I tried a 2500 like comp cams suggested and it was still a little lazy off the line and just didn't run as well as I'd like. I went with the 3000 and IMO it's perfect, at least for me! I have found that whatever the power range of the cam (at least for comp) I go 1000 rpm over that with the converter and it's just right. IE- if power starts at 2000, a 3000 conv. works best. Now, a lot depends on you and your driving style, and also what you like as far as stall. Some people can't stand a loose converter. I myself, don't mind it at all. Heck, I run a 3800 in my 66 on the street and think it's great. Had another guy ride with me and he couldn't understand how I could like that. Of course, once I stepped down on it, he understood:D

#9 ·
D-man ,
no, not an all out drag car . Just a pro street cruiser.
its got a el-cheapo 12" 2500 stall now, not tooooo bad, but.
Any recommdations on a good street friendly 3000 stall, that i would be happy with.
oh , im running a 700r4 with 4:56,31"tall tires.

thanks for your replys.

Roger

#11 ·
For the 700r4 I'd either call Yank or Precision Industries.

http://www.converter.cc/

http://www.converter.com/article-3.html

Both GREAT pieces.:yes:

There are several others as well. If you want to send your converter in for an "Upgrade", You can call Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts as well. It might work out cheaper as well.
http://www.ultimateconverter.com/
When you call UCC and ask a tech question or for a price quote, you will talk to Lenny.....the owner and ONLY converter guy there!! No middle-men to get things screwed up or have their own opinion as to what YOU need.:no:

#10 ·
I run a B&M torquemaster 3000 in my 64 but it's not real high horse. I run the Holeshot in my 66. A lot of people on here don't like B&M but I've had nothing but good luck with them. I used to run Daryl Young in the drag car and they were the best IMO but they're not around anymore unless they've started back up recently.

#14 ·
back in the day dollar for dollar you couldn't beat Darrell Young conveters. They worked great on the street! I had two of them, an 11" 2800 and a 10" 3500. I guess they aren't around anymore. You may want to look into ******* converters, I have heard nothing but good about them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.