Chevy Nova Forum banner

Brake light questions: 66 nova

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  1966Nova 
#1 ·
My 66 nova has a problem with ONLY the left rear tail light.
I have a very faint left rear turn signal and the left rear brake light does not come on. If I take the tail light socket out of housing then the turn signal works. with lights on and NO brake pedal depressed- both filaments in the left rear bulb come on. is this a bad ground? :turn:
both front turn signals, right rear brake light and turn signal work.
I have replaced turn signal switch and left rear tail light socket from chevy II only.

thoughts greatly appreciated.

thanks!

#2 ·
I had similar issues with a harness kit for my headlights. Ended up being that the wires were not in the correct locations in the connector. Make sure that the wires are correctly spliced....since your right side is working, take the bulb out and use a light probe to check which terminal is engergized when the brake is pressed, when the headlights are on, or when the turn signal is on. Then check the left side to see if it matches.

My guess is that it is just wired wrong somewhere near the splice point (which should be at the left side in the trunk)

#6 ·
I thought so too but 66badboy looks like he nailed it.
I reversed the wires at the socket- now everything works!
Now I can drive it again!

Thanks all!

#8 ·
I guess the logic is that both the wires are positive and of course the light grounds in the tail light housing.
The bulb came on to begin with because it doesnt care as long as it gets fed a positive source. reversing the wiring tries to make the bulb flasher and brake functions not work because it lights up the wrong filaments in the bulb? which would explain why I had no brake light and no flasher function with the wires reversed?

I dunno.
Back to makers mark and diet coke.
I gotta get the steering wheel back on.
Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.