Chevy Nova Forum banner

gear drive for daily driver?

9K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  brutusvk 
#1 ·
I think I have an idea of where this could go but......
Its already in the engine, Im just picking up the car, and its got a 420 hp Edelbrock top end in it with Lunati crank and pistons. Around 500 miles on them and I plan to go to a double roller chain, but that wont be for awhile.
Do you guys see any issues with driving it daily for awhile like this? Im talking 15 miles each way to work

#11 ·
it's going to be like riding around town with your wife nagging in your ear the whole time.
I'd rather hear the nagging.:yes:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :thumbsup:

Get rid of them as soon as possible. Besides the noise, gear drives are not good for engine harmonics.

#4 ·
I think a gear drive sounds cool when one cruises by you on the road, so I put one in my 355 when I had it built. Major mistake. I couldn't even enjoy the sound of the engine for the noise the gear drive made. A round trip to Indy (about 80 miles each way) had me ready to climb a wall by the time I got home. I now have a slightly used Pete Jackson gear drive sitting in a box in the garage now and a much more mellow sounding hot rod. You may wind up liking it... as for me...not so much.

Mark

#6 ·
Some gear drives can be near silent when set up properly. Since it's already in there just tdrive it for a while and see what you think. One of the other drawbacks is they can play hell with knock sensors.

#15 ·
I wondered what's the difference between the "quiet" and the noisy gear drives; do they make helical cut drives or only straight cut ? Some Honda motorcycles had split gears that were spring loaded to remove slop and make their cam drives quiet. Maybe there's a market...

#16 ·
i have used a couple over the years. i only use pete jackson gd.. the last one i used was on a 468 in my 4x4 and it was the quite gd. it didn't make a loud noise but it had a growl to it..

#20 ·
Most of these comments of people who know people who had one ....:bored::turn:

I've had one on my car for 3 years - its a Cloyes and I dont even notice it.

It's different and makes your car slightly more unique - there's no reason for you to take it off and spend the time and money unless you want to join the rest of the sheep :D

#25 ·
always heard Cloyes was good

as Walt stated. But, are there any difference to worry about with small blocks? Should they all be the same as far as the block is concerned? Im also seeing some sold with different types of sprocket material (billet, steel, etc) and then others with adjustable sprockets. I just need daily driver reliability.

#27 ·
as Walt stated. But, are there any difference to worry about with small blocks? Should they all be the same as far as the block is concerned? Im also seeing some sold with different types of sprocket material (billet, steel, etc) and then others with adjustable sprockets. I just need daily driver reliability.
Cloyes is great, just get a true roller double roller and you will be fine Adam.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clo-9-1100/overview/make/chevrolet

#29 ·
Just to stir the pot....has no one ever heard of timing chain failure/breakage?

I had a gear drive(edelbrock accu-drive)on my Nova when I bought it and kept for 8 years and did not mind it and fairly quiet. I did change to a double roller when I upgraded the whole top end. I think for a daily driver it's totally up to you:yes: Just my $0.02 worth:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.