Chevy Nova Forum banner

T56...install/local (?) builders

5K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  henshman 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am putting the car (69) up for the winter and need to massage an LT style T56 into it. My two attempts at a 700R4 weren't so successful, long story.
I procured a donor trans from a 94 Camaro and will be mating this one, or another (core exchange) one to my 540 BBC. This car will be strictly driven on the street (3.89 gears, 26-ish tall, not very wide tires), bottom line the tires should always be the weak link.
So, I go into this new trans issue with an open mind...I would like to use a hydraulic clutch...

Looking for "smot" people that may have tackled this before and anyone with good experience in dealing with a performance manual transmission shop, in the Rhode Island (or New England) area, for a rebuild or trans exchange.

Thanks in advance, Matt

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
Gents, thanks for the replies...I have looked into most of these already...IL is closer than TX.
I am leaning toward the LT due to ease of mating the gen iv to it. I know these guys or American Powertrain have the hyd parts to make them work, better than the manual clutch setups.
Both the LT and LS T56 use hydraulic throwout setups; neither are manual. The LT is external, LS is internal. You can use any number of master cylinders with them; OEM, Tilton, Wilwood, etc. The LT T56 does use an odd pull-style pressure plate, however, it can be converted to the more standard push-style.

Personally, I'd try to source a LS T56 from a F-Body or GTO and use a bellhousing from Quicktime for added insurance (foot protection). They're a little better transmissions, particularly the GTO one.

#8 ·
Itslow, thanks.

I have the old trans sold. I am chatting with RSG to get educated. I am leaning towards a Lakewood bellhousing, as that is what was suggested by RSG. The pedals will prob be classic ind. The Hydramax setup, master cylinder, etc looks good from american powertrain.
Waiting on clutch, until I get engine dialed in.
Crossmember will prob come from Allston's chassis works.

Thoughts?

#14 ·
WBT, i am tracking your T56 install posts too! Good stuff!
I won't be on the road for a bit...engine needs to go to shop for a spin in the engine room for a tune...so I will get the flywheel first, then pick the clutch based on the HP/tq.
Xmember, pedals and hydraulic kit will prob be next. I'll take some measures and see where the shifter could go.
Prob buy the trans last...
Check out the neon console builds here yet?
Neat addition to the interior!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#26 ·
Depends. Pull outs are always a gamble :D

If you can score a used one for $700-800 then it might be worth your while to buy it and send it right off to get rebuilt and upgraded. If you are really interested I can see what's floating around my local 4th gen club. They can be shipped in a large rubbermaid container (Tick's approved method) and we've had some change hands for $450-500.

If you go pre-rebuilt, Tick, D&D, and RSG seem to be the big boys.

#27 ·
T56

I learned the hard way ...these Trans's have shifted a HARD LIFE be careful the only way to know what you have is to get it de-assembled they are very expensive to repair I bought a LS1& t56 I had to put 1500 into the trans due to problems. I drove the car and it shifted just fine WATCH out..

:devil::devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.