Chevy Nova Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Ford 9 inch rear axles/brakes fit Novas?

71K views 87 replies 51 participants last post by  taz3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
super_davecars said:
I have a 57 ford 9 inch rear with 11 inch brakes.I have the drums but no shoes or hardware.I'm having trouble finding shoes,local parts store did not have a number in there wagner book.The drums measure a little over 2 inchs wide so I put some 2 inch by 11 shoes off an old full size chevy car and they fit fine on the ford backing plates but the drums rubbed the shoes it liked about an 1/8 inch or less to seat on the axle.Does anyone have any ford brake info or sources and/or part #s for a 57/59 9 inch rear. Thanks
I had the same problem with an early Ford rear on the Durango Deuce so I went to the boneyard and got some 11x2.5's off a 70's Merc Marauder. I was told I had to send in the early shoes to have them re-built since there aren't any readily available at the store. I may still have the original drums and shoes.
super_davecars said:
My parts guy at Orielly's found some brake shoes for me.They are Brake Best brand part # 55. He had them in stock for $14 and no core charge they are 1 3/4 x 11 inch shoes.

#2 ·
Bronco rear

While out yesterday afternoon fishing at a private lake,I saw a early model Bronco(like a 1966?) in a field that had been gutted however,it still had the rear end under it.It was across the fence line and I couldn't get to it to crawl under.
Isn't it ture that a early model Bronco 9 inch is the same wigth as a 66 10.2 rear?If this is true,I guess I had better check it out.
Mike

#8 ·
I thought most 9" housings offset the pinion gear to the passenger side quite a bit
That's not what I mean, if you look at an earlier Ford van, the axles are like WAY shorter on one side--some guys used to just buy a second drivers side axle, and narrow the other side to match. It's been a long time since I was around a Bronco, maybe I'm mistaken.

#10 ·
66 bronco rear.

the bronco 9 inches are centered and will work but the 66 is a small bearing very lite duty axle and not sure its worth the hassle to put it in a nova. I have owned a few and always traded out the axle for a 76-77 large bearing heavy duty unit or a dana 60 cut down.

#12 ·
Is there a "bolt on" 5 lug rear end to fit a '62 Nova (other than a early Nova rearend) ?
I don't think so. Hopefully, someone will come along presently to say otherwise.

Relocating spring perches shouldn't be too hard.
Great, then making a detailed tutorial for us should be a snap, hint, hint. :D

#21 ·
Check this thread.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52638

Me and few other members are thinking about this also. Some have done it on this site. But they also did mini tubed also. By looking at it s-10 measurments and my 65 it is going to be real close. I was told the spring perch is right in the way of the E-brake cable.

I seen this set up this morning from an ebay car. (Notice the shackle)Something like the belowe pic might work. If it clears the gas tank. I have not looked at my car yet. I think with a part like this the S-10 will fit in no questions. (Remember I said I think :)

From

http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Suspension_Widths.html

56 1/2" 71-77 Ford Maverick 8",
57" 71-74 V-8 Mavericks 8", All '75-77 6's & 8's Maverick 5 Lug 8", 49-51 Ford, 57-59 Ford 9"

57 1/4" 64 1/2 - 65 Mustang

58" 78-88 Mid sized GM Car, Malibu/Monte Carlo (82 up Metric Studs), 80 Granada & Lincoln Versailles,
67-70 Mustang/Cougar/Fairlane, Regal with 10 bolt axle, S-10 P.U., 65-67 Nova

This link will tell you your Nova's rearend measurements
http://novaresource.org/axle.htm

#22 ·
Bronco 9" in First Generation

I have found a 72 Bronco 9" rearend. I got a few questions I am looking for some help on from anyone that has used this rearend. I am wanting to swap it into my 65 Nova.

From searching this site I take it this rearend will work. So far I know I will have to have the axles and drums redrilled to fit my wheels. Also from searching this site some say it is a direct bolt in and one said he had to move the spring perches. I do not know what set up each member has so I thought I would ask the following questions.

My questions are:

1, Will I have to move and weld the spring perch to fit my stock leafs?

2, Will I have to get a U-joint adapter to bolt on my drive shaft?

3, Will I have to modify my drive shaft length?

4, Will my Chevy wheels mount flush to the ford drums? Is the center circle the same size?

5, Any parking brake issues?

Again thanks for any info you might have.

#23 ·
The Broncos came with either 10" or 11" drums so depending on what size wheels you are running you may or may not have an issue. The center hole in much larger than your original. The perches should work with the stock spring location. Most of the Broncos came with the yoke for the 1310 u-joint which is the same as the Chevy II. There are two different lengths of 9" yokes so if your driveline is off by about an inch you may get by with a yoke change. The odds are good you will not need to modify the driveline. You may need longer brake hose; we did, but we did not use the stock Chevy II springs.
Did not use the parking brake so no idea on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.