Chevy Nova Forum banner

Lunati Voodoo cams & valvetrain noise?

9K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  D-Man 
#1 ·
Looking for some feedback on this cam! I currently running a comp cam and I get to much valvetrain noise. Lunati cams claim slower closing cam lobes sides to reduce noise but I want some proof! Also what is a good oil to use for Hydraulic flat tappet cams?

Brand: Lunati
Product Line: Lunati Voodoo Cam and Lifter Kits
Part Type: Camshaft and Lifter Kits
Part Number: LUN-60103LK
Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,800-6,200
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 227
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 233
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 227 int./233 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 268
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 276
Advertised Duration: 268 int./276 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.489 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.504 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.489 int./0.504 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110
Intake Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Computer Controlled Compatible: No
Lifters Included: Yes
Lifter Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Valve Springs Included: No
Retainers Included: No
Locks Included: No
Valve Stem Seals Included: No
Timing Chain and Gears Included: No
Assembly Lubricant Included: No
Pushrods Included: No
Rocker Arms Included: No
Gaskets Included: No
Quantity: Sold as a kit.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a comp xe268 in my 350. Its as quite as a mouse. Todd is right, something has to be adjusted incorrectly or something is hitting. You sure its not header gaskets?

-dan

Ps- Mine made a horrible noise when I did the break-in. Turns out the rockers were hitting the valve covers. You may want to check that as well.

#4 ·
I just replaced the header gaskets all four. I have adjusted the valves several times but the noise comes back! I first started with roller rockers then I switched to summit steel non roller and what has finaly helped is Original GM stock rockers but it only reduced the noise its still there.

#7 ·
How are you adjusting your valves?
How much pre-load?
Whose lifters are you using?
What heads?
Retainer to seal clearance?
Springs binding?
Pushrods binding?
Any shiny spots on the inside of your valve covers?

#9 ·
I have tried both ways to adjust my valves. Pre-load i have tried 1/2 turn after zero lash and 3/4 turn. lifters are comp cams brand, heads are Camel Hump, retainer to seal I dont know, springs binding (No), Pushrods seem to ride the guide plates little and no shiny spots on valve covers

#10 ·
Check your valvetrain setup up top. I don't know what springs you've got or at what installed height their setup at but it's a very common problem, especially with over .470" lift.
You can also check for interference between the rockers and retainers (doubtful but worth a gander), as well as interference with any oil baffles inside the valve covers.

As a last shot in the dark, did you use the clear di-electric grease inside your spark plug boots?
You get one of those arcing out it will sometimes make a very deceptive sounding "POP"..:yes:

#8 ·
Im running the LUN-60104 and I like it. Just make sure your push rod lenght is right for whatever set-up you're using. You may have wore out lifters to? Just a thought. I have had some roller rockers that made a little noise, but you should be able to tell the difference from lifter noise. Here's a link to video. It was idle down to low as I just put the carb on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y0YITzEQqM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.