Chevy Nova Forum banner

Turbo Chevy Inline 6 250

317K views 355 replies 80 participants last post by  droptop63 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my build of my Chevy Turbo inline six. This build started out as a very basic just trying to add a turbo and keep stock components on the six. In the end it turned into a all out build with the absolute best parts I could find. Total horsepower numbers have not been determined yet.

The car itself is a 1967 4 door with a Smith race craft front clip, TCI torque arm suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood disc brakes.

Please see my engine specs below.

Chevy Inline Six Build Up-TURBO

Engine: 250 I6 Chevy o Ringed
Block Details:
Bore: .060 over
Bore: 3.935
Stroke: 3.530
Compression: 8.5:1
CID: 258
Camshaft: Crower
Cam # E-68061

Duration- Intake: 286 degrees Lift: .679 Clearance: .026
Exhaust: 280 degrees Lift: .655 Clearance: .028
Lobe Separation: 114 degrees
Duration@ .50 IN: 254 degrees Lobe Lift: IN: .388
EXH: 247 degrees EXH: .374
Water pump-FlowKooler Hi flow mechanical billet pump
Thermostat: EMP-300-160 degrees by STEWART
Housing: Joe gibbs racing

Head: 73cc Mrhotrod6 Intake lump Ported Roller Cam prepped Stage 4 Plus head.
ARP 7/16 screw in studs
Mrhotrod6 Custom Super Duty H Beam 7/16 Stud Girdle
Valves: Pro Series Extreme Duty Race Intake Valves 1.940
-Special Alloy Inconel Exhaust valves 1.600 Plus .100
Rockers: Crower Enduro Roller 1.75 ratio -7/16”
Springs: Roller Cam Valve springs Chrome Silicone Vanadium
Retainers: Titanium- with the head
Lifters: Comp Cams roller lifters
PushRods: comp cams with pushrod guide plates
Lifter covers: Sissels billett aluminum covers
Head Gasket: SCE Pro Copper gasket with o rings
Connecting Rods: SCAT- SCA-66000206a 4340 h beam 12 point cap 6.000” in length
Pistons: Diamond Pistons Special coatings on both the crown and skirt.
Bore: 3.9350
Compression height: 1.365
Effective volume: -5.1cc
Valve depth intake: .177 exhaust .169
double spirolox
piston weight: 543 grams
Crankshaft: Stock internally balanced polished and magged
Oil Pump: M-62HV High Volume melling
Oil Pan: Mr charlies performance custom Aluminum pan with turbo drain
Oil pain studs: Stainless Steel ARP
Head Studs: ARP Studs
Main Cap kit: ARP Main caps and studs Kit
Intake: Clifford Aluminum 4 barrel- Custom matched with gasket and clearacned to the head with TI64 Titanium studs and nuts for securing wilson manifold spacer
Carburetor: C&S Custom Billet aerosol blow thru carb
Turbo Manifold: SPA turbo manifold
Turbo: Turbo: Precision Turbo T4 6466 SP CEA-2-BB1w/TH8166a .81AR
Compressor Wheel: 2.535” inducer/3.410” exducer
Turbine wheel: 2.920” inducer/ 2.600 exducer

Intercooler: Precision turbo PTE 1000 water to air intercooler
Wastegate: Precision Turbo PW46 waste gate
BOV: Boosted solutions 37mm BOV
BOOST CONTROL: NLR AMS-500

Distributor: MSD 8515 magnetic
Ignition: MSD GRID system
Valve Cover: Sissell sheet metal- aluminum
Gaskets: Fel Pro
Bearings: sealed power
Timing cover: MR hotrod Aluminum 3 piece
Timing Gear: Adjustable machined timing gear
Fuel Pump: Aeromotive A2000
Fuel Regulator: Aeromotive 13301 boost reference regulator
Fuel block off plate: Aluminum
Oil system adapters: Hamburger- block adapter with remote filter mount
Damper: Inovators West internally balanced
Flywheel: Reactor Wheel - Neutral Balance 168 Tooth ARP Flywheel bolts
Starter: MSD APS starter
Hoses: All Icor lightweight nascar type or ICOR gold
Pulley system: custom Gilbert type belts with jones racing pulleys
Vacuum pump: Aerospace components
Pump Valve: aerospace components with catch tank

Transmission
J.W. Performance
-P.G. Trans. Comp. W/Forr.Patt. Fluid EXT. Brake- 1.76Gr.
-PG Ultra Bell Bellhousing W.SFI 30.1
OEM Full Powerglide Case hand selected
Cast Aluminum Deep Pan
Turbo Spline Input Shaft
Hardened High Gear Clutch Hub Performance Clutches, Steels, and Band
Forward Manual Pro-Tree Trans brake valvebody
Race Modified Front Pump
OEM 1.76 Gearset with Shortened and resplined output shaft
Short Gearvendors Unit installed, only 3 inches longer then OEM
Custom Built 9” Torque Converter – mid 3000 stall range

See less See more
#9 ·
Looks like you need to spin the compressor housing so you don't hit the intake as was just noted. Most turbo housings come apart, but it's a pita because they use a huge snap ring that is too big for most readily available pliers.

Kev

#13 ·
DAM, u beat me to it!!! i so wanna do a blowthru I6 in my 63 SS, just so i keep the OG motor . have u done ur research, how much can these I6 handle or more like how power are u expecting from it. im definitely subscribing to this one, keep it up & the pics coming...

JOHN

#15 ·
power

sorry forgot to answer your power handleing question, well i feel the stock block can handle 400 to 500 with the proper modifications such as all ARP studs, Stong connecting rods, ARP main cap kit. Then if you want more you and have stainless steel sleeves installed which could allow you theoretically to get 1000 hp out of one of these with extensive mods.

#14 ·
turbo six

Yes ive dont alot of research for this build up. It is very difficult to find parts for this build. I have found that the cast iron manifold pictured in my post does not fit a 1967 nova, it may fit a later model that has a bigger engine bay. Right now i am in the process of welding my 304L schedule 10 stainless steel turbo manifold that will fit on a nova.

I just had SCE build me a custom pro copper head gasket to handle the boost and also have received the stainless steel o ring kit for the block as well. In terms of my cam it is kind of experimental as it will be a higher RPM turbo motor which is not always needed.

Talking about power i expect at least 400 hp or more, all the experts i have talked to say it should be that but i wont count on it till i see it.

If your looking for serious power and reliablility custom parts are the way to go, its just difficult finding the people that make them. Feel free to ask any questions as i have been working on this for a year or more and i may have contacts that you would require.

Good luck

#18 ·
Hey bn667 dam sweet I6!!!......

I have my 250 I6 in to have it cleaned, magna fluxed, etc...I've made up my mind to sell the 327 I have to finance the build on the 250 for my 64 longroof. I'm not going too radical or indepth as you are <financial constraints! plus I'm a part-time do-it-yourselfer!!>, yet I want the build to be able to take on a small block during a day at the strip or at least hold its on! I'm looking on having sissells do the head work and outfit the remaining parts along with Clifford.

Keep up with the postings, since I can grab some ideas/innovations from ya....I can only imagine your build is definitely not on a tight budget!

As Mikey would say..."I Like!"

#19 ·
six

Well good luck with your build, sissel is good to have do the head work if he is avalible, last time i talked with him around around a year ago said he was working part time.

check this site out

http://t6racing.org/

He does all the lump port kits for the heads and can basically build you any type of head you want. Just give him a call hes a great guy to work with.

What are your plans for your build up? all clifford parts? hp ?

Well in terms of budget i do have one but im note sure where it is....i just save up and by one part at a time....its a slow process but worth it in the end....anyway good luck with your build.

#21 ·
#23 ·
I looked into this a year or two ago. I found a site where a guy had taken a 292 block and filled all the holes the deck, then drilled new water passages and head bolt holes. He then cut one cylinder off of a pair of brodix heads. He welded the two cut heads together. The bore spacing ended up just right. Very wild little motor. I'll see if I can find the site.

#25 ·
WOW real nice!!!..............can't wait to see what kinda power u get outa it.
l run about 6psi stock 250 Garret T-65 somuch fun only thing l had to change was a ignition govener heehhe loved revving past 6500

#28 ·
Hey,

oh heck when my waste gate got dissconnected...........thanks to a friend playing a sick joke mine boosted to about 18 for only a few mints yeah l have some blowby but only slight l wouldn't worry about 16psi on yours pistons/rings you have should handle it just fine l'm fairly sure blocks are good for 25psi anyways only really worry about blowing out a headgaskit hehehee done that

#30 ·
Turbo L6

Blue Nova 667

You have been doing a great job and this is following my dream to build my own 250 into a Turbo Monster!

I have a 65 Nova Coupe so I will also have to fab around the shock towers. I plan to build an additional 250 motor on the side so I can drive my Nova with the current 250 for now.

Sixes are so cool. Cant wait to read your accomplishments.

You are talking to the right people about performance 250's too.:cool:

James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.