Chevy Nova Forum banner

Installing a headliner tips?

18K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Denis the Menace 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to install the headliner in the 64 Sedan. Never installed one before. Anyone have any pointers on doing this correctly????? Thanks Tim

#3 ·
They aren't bad. I actually like doing them. Use 3m super trim adhesive. not the lighter duty stuff. spray a good coat on the back side edge of the headliner and on the car where its going to attach and let it tack up. I like to start in the midle of the car and trying to keep it all evenly stretched working side to side and from the midle out on both sides. Sometimes it can get a little tricky back at the sail panel are, especialy if they were stingy with the material like on the one I did in my 68 Charger. Another thing I do is to start all the trim screws in there holes leaving them hanging out. that way you can feel the heads after the headliner is all in place you just nick the material enough with a sharp razor blade to let the head through the material. then install the piece.
The first one I did stressed me out. I was a kid and doing my 67 camaro, my dad wouldn't let me think of hiring anyone else to do anything. Now in my fourties I'm glad he made me do things for myself back then.

#4 ·
I did mine it looks Ok but it took a day to do it I mean all day . Take the head liner out of the box . I put mine on the roof & let it sit all night before I started . Now I think if I was going to do it again better say WHEN I will start in front & work to the back. Good luck
. Later Larry

#5 ·
I'm just about ready to install the headliner in my 66 SS and I want to do it myself. I've yet to hire anyone to do anything on this car since I started it with the exception of the machine work on the engine and rebuilding of the transmission. I had a bunch of free help from my dad though. Anyway, I wanted to know from some of you the way you did it. Start with the middle bow and work your way out or start at the front and work back. Fisher manual says to start in the middle. What glue did you use? I was going to get a can of headliner glue from Classic Industries. How aggravating is it to stretch and get around the pinch welds and at the front and rear window? I assumed that when you get the glue applied you use the windlace to hold it in place but not I'm not sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated. It can't be the worst thing to do considering the floor pans, trunk pan, quarter panel, paint job, and everything else we've done on this thing. This was my first one and so far it's looking pretty good.

#6 ·
Upon installation of mine in my 67 I went to Staples and bought about a hundred large binder clamps. After getting your edges on the pinch welds, place the clamps on. I let these sit over night and by morning the headliner was perfect. This was a first time install for me also.

#7 ·
I tried the headliner glue from Classic and it DID NOT hold the headliner in place. I had better luck with the 3M spraay adhesive. BEFORE you even think about installing the headliner pull it out of the box and let it HANG on a clothesline or something like that for a day or two. It will make some of the wrinkles come out and will make installation a little bit easier. Also Pick a warmer day to install it and use a heat gun to heat the material a bit BEFORE stretching it and attaching it to the glue as it COOLS down the headliner will shrink thus helping to elimiate wrinkles.

GOOD LUCK AND POST SOME PICS!:yes:

#8 ·
Well I live in Alabama see plenty of warm days real soon. I thought about laying the headliner out in the sun for a while before putting it in anyway. Do you mean it wouldn't hold it after it dried? The only thing about the spray adhesive is the over spray from it. I know I can cover everything up but that's a lot of trouble. I may try it anyway if that glue is crap.

#9 · (Edited)
I followed the advice of these guys and mine went well. My advice is if your car has plastic bow clips get new ones first, I was almost all done streching when I had to trake it back down, cuz the clips started braking while streching.

Also let the liner sit in the sun and stretch it out over something like the roof of your car.

The part where John speaks of using the blow dryer to get the wrinkles out is a good idea. It has taken a couple of weeks, but mine are almost gone. And don't use anything except 3M Super Weather Stripping Adheasive, I used the black and not the yellow.

Take your time and bring your patients. It was fine once I got going.:yes:

I also did the strecth and let it sit over night then glued it the next day. I used 72 of the inch and a half clips.

http://www.iola.com/71nova/headliner.html

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161372&highlight=headli

#11 ·
There is an old posting that really highlights what to do. I just put mine in and it looks good. The way stuff looks after you pay an expert to do something these days it is better to try it yourself. I let my new one heat up in the sun, waited for a warm day, and went to it. My '62 has a 'wishbone clip' thingy at the back that holds the rear bow in place so I pulled the slack to the front starting in the middle and then out from there. Did the back and sail panels last. I also used a ton of binder clips to hold the headliner to the stretcher rails. I used DAP Weldwood contact cement to glue it in. Worked great and not messy. Search for 'headliner' and see what shows up.

#12 ·
Yeah, I really want to do it myself because I don't really want to have to haul it somewhere and leave it. I did do a search for headliner before posting this but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. After the input from you guys I've got a little better direction. You wouldn't happen to have a link to that post you mentioned would you?

#13 ·
I did mine a couple of years ago. Start in the Middle. Make sure you mark the RIBS and the Holes that they came out of. There are several holes around each rib end. I am older so the streching part took a toll on my fingers. So I did mine over several days. Make sure you leave extra material on the sides also. Mark the center of the headliner with some tape. It will help with finding center. This way the sides will have enough material.

After taking out the old headliner put the screws for the Dome light and the Sun visors back in place. Like michigan65SS said. It works great.

B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.