Chevy Nova Forum banner

Metal Dipping ?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jcapps 
#1 ·
Which one is better , metal dipping or blasting ??

Thanks,

Tony

#3 ·
Exact. Removing ALL rust is a good thing, but if you dip a car you have to dip it in primer. Most companys do that too. The biggest problem with dipping is to get rid of the acid. If not neutralized proper it will start rusting badly in short time.

#4 ·
It depends on the part and how clean you want it.

To me if I want to clean all the surfaces on a part AND I can see all of the surfaces, chances are the part would get blasted.

If I want to clean a part that I cannot see all of the surfaces, then I would have the part dipped.

Blasting can leave media behind just like dipping can leave solutions behind.

I've blasted parts only to find trapped media left behind and also had parts dipped that had solutions left behind.

If I had the choice to have a very good person blast a part or give it to a guy that dips but doesn't have a clue as to what was going on I would choose blasting. The same holds true that if I had a very good person that could dip a part to clean it versus a guy that blasts and doesn't have a clue then I would go towards the dipping route. A LOT has to do with the person doing the work.

I've had parts blasted and dipped and luckily I've only had one or two problems but I learned from it.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.