Chevy Nova Forum banner

cam install

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  nickkurz 
#1 ·
do i have to pull my 350 block to install a new cam or can i install it if i pull the radiator out? not sure how much clearance there is.

#3 ·
ok thanks thats the general consensuses from talking with a few people trying to find someone that has done this before if it is possible trying to save the time if possible because radiator is only bolted still everthing else has been removed but the block and trans are still in and so is the driveshaft and starter.

#10 · (Edited)
How to degree a cam

If its your first cam install you could probably get away with installing the cam sraight up, AKA just line up the two dots when you install the timing chain. I always pre soak the lifters in oil for about an hour. When you install the rockers i DO NOT recommend twisting the push rod between your fingers untill you feel it drag then an addition 1/2 turn as some books say. Ive seen people bottom out hyd. lifters and hang valves open because they mis-judge "drag". I always adjust for zero lash and then 1/2 turn. Use a break in oil if youre installing a flat tappet cam. and use plenty of assembly lube.

#11 ·
thank you will def take any advice and try to do it right am using flat tappet for ease of install.

How to degree a cam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cNoVRLb73c

If its your first cam install you could probably get away with installing the cam sraight up, AKA just line up the two dots when you install the timing chain. I always pre soak the lifters in oil for about an hour. When you install the rockers i DO NOT recommend twisting the push rod between your fingers untill you feel it drag then an addition 1/2 turn as some books say. Ive seen people bottom out hyd. lifters and hang valves open because they mis-judge "drag". I always adjust for zero lash and then 1/2 turn. Use a break in oil if youre installing a flat tappet cam. and use plenty of assembly lube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.