Chevy Nova Forum banner

New frame rails

23K views 48 replies 13 participants last post by  wideopen1967 
#1 · (Edited)
Decided to use Autoweld's form fit parrallel rails. Will give me room for the 15" wide tires I want to run.

Grey line is where the inside of the autoweld's rails will fit. If you are wondering about the grey line. I made sure the car was level front to rear and used a black & decker laser, [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BDL300S-BULLSEYE-360-Degree/dp/B0000C6DWP[/ame]

shot the line, then used masking tape to mark it, then I sprayed the line with paint.

Check out my project thread for more pics,

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183315

See less See more
#6 ·
Work

Won't complain, because I am fortunate to have a job, but I was called into work this morning. So I lost most of the day. My next steps are to finish welding up the holes from the spot welds and repair the holes from the air chisel. If you plan on using one of these to cut the welds don't, you will punch through the floor pan.

When I do the passenger side I will cut off the rail above the flange. This will make removal much easier.

#7 ·
i did new rear frame rails on my 63. i just ended up removing the trunk floor completely.:eek:
i found it to be alot easier to put the rails where i needed them to be. then put the floor back in. well cut it and make it fit. by the way the floor needed some patch panels .
sorry no pics. the floor has not been put back in i just finished the rails

#12 ·
sorry i havent posted pictures on any of the stuff im doing to my car. truth is i dont get much time to work on my car. so my progress is really slow.
i am planing on putting up details on what i did once im done with the suspension. im not done with it yet i still have tons more work to do to it.

its a homemade triangulated 4link that will ride on an airbag suspension. it has a frame made from 2x3 square tubing . shortened currie 9 inch the rear frame rails have been moved to make room for wide tires going to try to keep the stock tubs. well with mods and still have a rear seat. might not be a comfortable rear seat. but i wont ride in the back just looks if fine.

i still need to weld in cross member somewhere above the axle for shock mounts and support .

this started off a a simple little mini tub project that just went another direction . also my axle was pushed back to line up centered with the wheel wells stock location of the axle puts it too close to the rear seat.

once i finish i will put up all the pictures. but doing this is way way easier with out the floorpan in the way.

im not a profesional car builder or welder. just a gear head that loves his nova.i might have made some mistakes along the way with this build but we will see.

i did put a cross member across the front of the frame rails under the seat where the rails begin. welded it to the side of the cars unibody then the rails
also put a support across the rear of the car so that the frame rails are supported front and back. once im done i will put the floor back in weld it all back together for a really stiff car.

#13 ·
Autoweld frame rails

Got the rails in

They look good, they fit tight everywhere but the front drop.

Did not get a pic of the cut out I made in the trunk pan, but you can see it here,

Tire clearance!!!

This is the only place it does not fit tight against the floor pan

#16 ·
Front crossmember

Engineering on the fly,

I purchased the TCI four bar set up. But after looking at it I realized I could not fit the tire I wanted. So the front crossmember (transmission) will be TCI's If you are talking about the crossmember for the rear I will use TCI's four bar but I will have to modify it. Have not gotten to that point yet, but I will post pics when I do.

#18 ·
Body flexing

I measured (marked) the body with a laser level in several spots before I cut out the frame rails. Also before I weld in the crossmember (4 bar) I will rotate the car to the flat position and take measurements from the floor.

I also have been using a digital level in several spots making sure the body has not flexed during the process.

Also I welded a piece of angle iron ( temporarily) to the body all the way across the tail panel, then welded this angle to the rotisserie mounts.

#20 ·
Progress

Sorry guys my Mom has been very sick for the past month and passed away last week. Missed a lot of time at work. As soon as I get caught up at work I will get back on it.

I have started modifying the TCI rear crossmember, I will post pics of this tomorrow.

#24 ·
I havent decided whether or not to cut out the trunk floor. The 325s I'm using require mods to the TCI 4 link too. Do I build rails off the existing front 4 bar mount or toss the whole thing and just do a regular back half....either way I want to have it done by spring.

Sorry to hear about the family, some work on the Ol' Chevy II should take your mind off things:yes:

Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.