Chevy Nova Forum banner

1965 Moordoor has arrived!

15K views 91 replies 17 participants last post by  rodneypierce 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, as many of you know, I have been looking for a four door Nova project. Well I have been looking at a few different cars, within a 400 mile radius of me.

Dad and I decided to go check this one out in KC, MO. About a 5.5 hour drive, but it was well worth it! I would be kicking myself if I hadnt went. Its not perfect, and has a little bit of mud in it (been repainted in 01, and is peeling bad now) and has some surface rust. But very very solid otherwise!

I took a magnet with me, and only 2 small spots in each quarter panel bottom would not stick. The rest of the quarters a magnet stuck fine. Anyhow, onto the pictures.

Runs and drives (but runs REALLY rich, pouring black smoke out the tail pipe rich, and hardly has ANY power to move itself from a stop because of this)

Paid 1800.00 for it. Let me know what you think, and be honest :yes:

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
the shop that repainted the car in 01, just glued the side moldings on the car without filling the original molding clip holes. So, as you can see, water got back there and started rusting behind the paint, causing it to pop all along the moldings. I am going to remove them anyhow further into the build to clean up the look. Plan to remove the one on the door for now, and scrape the rust and loose paint and see where Im at there. Then will prime and find a color close to paint it with so I can drive it around for a while (after a carb rebuild of course)

The pictures of the trunk floor are after me scraping, and vacuuming all the loose rust out of there. They are still solid, and I cant poke a hole through them with my finger, but still might end up getting replaced in the future.

Also one small rust hole in the drivers side floor pan (as you can see in the picture) the rest is rock solid. Pretty happy with it!! :yes:

#9 ·
HONEST OPINION, I THINK YOU SHOULD GET RID OF IT! :eek:
IT AIN'T WORTH YOUR TROUBLE,
THAT BEIN' SAID! JUS' PACK IT UP AND ALL THAT COMES WITH IT AND SEND IT RIGHT OVER HERE TO ME,:eek: I'LL DISPOSE OF IT FOR YOU! :devil:

ARE YOU KIDDIN' ME! THAT CAR IS WHAT PEOPLE WANNA START WITH. THAT MINOR RUST CAN EASILY BE HANDLED. I LOVE IT,I'M LOOKIN' FOR A '65 FOR MYSELF AS A DD! MAYBE SOMETIME NEXT YEAR FOR ME.
GOOD LUCK AND KOOL SCORE! :thumbsup:
KEEP US UPDATED!

#13 ·
Oh, it will be a LONG build. Just slow as money allows. I do plan to start on the body work here this winter, and do want to pull the I6 out of it and check it out. it leaks oil, and I dont like that. So seal it up, clean it, repaint it. Dont want to put much money into it, as it will get a swap, but dont like the oil all over the darn place.

I need to put the pictures back up as well. I moved them to there own album, now they dont show up here.

#15 ·
To be honest, its either going to be black and charcoal two tone or a cream and black two tone, with hot pink pin striping, and satin clear. I made her a custom wagon, and might paint the car to match. The car will eventually be my daughters (she is only one right now, so she wont get it for a while still :yes:)

#16 ·
It ll take time in getting it together with the funds being short as you mentioned...

What will help the MOST, is that you ll be doing the work.... which will save alot $$$....

Keep us updated on the progress and dont hold back on any questions that you may have regarding the 4 door....

At least, the front sheet metal trim is intact, which is usually missing :yes:

#17 ·
Yes sir. Will take some time for sure. This winter I plan to pull out the engine and trans, clean it up, re-gasket it and repaint it. This will also give me a good chance to clean up and repaint the engine bay. I plan to also start on the exterior body work which will tell me how good the body really is once sanded down. Plan is to have it in black primer by nice weather next year. Want to stop what current rust there is, and drive it around for a while :yes:

#19 ·
Looks much better than a midwest ChevyII I saw somewhere before. That is gonna be a lot less work than mine.

I also re-gasketed,sealed and painted my 194 before I put it in. Then The oil sender leaked. Something to look at and maybe replce.

Good luck and have fun.

EarlyIIs

#22 ·
no sir. But I will say, she is a good women. Never complains that I spend too much time out here in the shop, and knows I enjoy this sort of thing. She has even brought our daughter out here twice tonight to see daddy and what will someday be her car. Working on removing the drivers side fender to see what damage there may be there. Also plan to pull the motor and trans here soon. Might even end up doing that this weekend :D

#23 ·
Well, pretty happy about this. The area behind the fender is one area I was concerned about, as you cant inspect it without removing the entire front end darn near. Everything is pretty solid here. There is some evidence of the very bottom of the A pillar being creased in a little bit. I tried to get as good of pictures as possible. And one small hole in the outer firewall panel where the push clip goes through. Nothing that cant be easily fixed :D

#69 · (Edited)
I thought the same thing as I scrolled through this post.

You found a sweet 65. Now that I read through the whole story thus far, holy cow have you gone to town. Incredible to have done so much so quickly. When do you sleep?

Love the posts keep up the good work

#29 ·
little bit more done tonight on the car. Got all the fluids drained from the engine and trans. Everything unhooked. Hood, driveshaft and radiator removed. Tomorrow night the engine and trans should be on its way out.

I have a guy interested in the powerglide and another in the I6. How much is a fair price on them??

I had a buddy call me tonight and ask if I was interested in a 350 and a th400 for 200.00 delivered to my house. I told him that I sure was. So, that will most likely end up going into the car until I get to the LS swap. :yes:

#32 ·
Im all over the place on this car. here are a few pictures from tonights adventure. I tried paint stripper, but it would have taken way to many coats because there is so much paint on this car. So, decided to go about it the messy way, and hit it with the grinder and paint removal wheel. Was some bondo in the door and rear quarter. I can dolly out the dents in the door, but not sure about the ones in the rear quarter panel. Pretty beat up where it was hit at one time, and they tried to use studs to pull the dents back out. Not sure how I would go about fixing that?? Going to need a lot more paint removal discs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.