Chevy Nova Forum banner

Ford solenoid with MSD IGNITION

10K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  levisnteeshirt 
#1 ·
Does any one have a diagram or point me in the right direction on how to hook up a ford solenoid on a 63 nova. All the diagrams I see are with a regular 12 volt coil system. I'm starting to have hot start problems.

#5 · (Edited)
i would ,,,

Fenderwell headers will also cure your hot start problems but you will have to remove your heads or engine and cut your fenderwells and re-route some brake lines to install them . You might make some kind of heat shield with a piece of tin between the headers and the starter and make sure none of the pipes are touching the starter. I had a regular set of Headman headers on my 67 and I went through several solonoids until I gave up and got a set of fenderwell headers and never had this problem again.
Looking at the wiring diagram provided by the moderator and realizing i'm not good at uploading drawings ,maybe i can explain how I would hook up a hot start system. I think I would connect a jumper wire from the battery connection at the mini starter solonoid to the coil post for the mini starters solonoid. Connect the cable from the battery connection of the starter to one battery post of the Ford solonoid and connect the opposite battery post to the pos + battery terminal using apropriate cable. Using a meter , find the wire going to the starter that stays energized when the ignition switch is turned on , connect that to your " ignition on " wire for your MSD. Find the wire that is energized when the ignition switch is turned over to the starter position and connect that to one small terminal post on the Ford solonoid. If it only has one small terminal and its mounted on something grounded to the chassis , your done. If it has 2 small terminal posts , connect the one remaining to chassis ground. It should start and provide power to your ignition

#7 · (Edited)
Fenderwell headers will also cure your hot start problems
I do have a fenderwell hooker headers on it. Its starts up fine in the mornings or just when its cold but when it gets hot it takes a while for it to start up. It does not click, it just turns over slowly like it needs more power... being said it does have a new battery 1,000 CCA and 800 CA....could it be that is just to high of compression motor? 11-1.... I have new 1/0 welding cables for power and also for ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.