Chevy Nova Forum banner

Switching to E85?

5K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  lktna 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any info on switching over to e85. What all do you need to do, just get a e85 carb or can you switch a regular gas carb over with mods? Also does fuel system need changed at all? I have a 355 with a holley 850 mechanical and a 177 weiand blower. Thanks for any help

#2 ·
You can change your carb over with different metering blocks if you choose to, but most times they are never really right. You will need a fuel pump that is compatable with E-85 or methenal and the same with your fuel lines. E-85 takes a large amount to run than gas. So everything needs to be up to par. You need at least 8an line from tank to pump, from pump to regulator, and 6an from regulator to carb. Fuel pressure will have to be around 7 to 8 psi to keep up with the demand of the new fuel.

#3 ·
#4 ·
E85

I am converting my 13:1 cr solid roller 383 to e85.
I'm reading on it.
I think in a nutshell makes more torque, allows to get by with more compression, runs cooler, burns more fuel( not as much as methanol)

Quick fuel carbs get the job done.
You might search yellow bullet for more info.
I think I might go with this guy:

http://www.marksullense85carburetors.com/

#5 ·
E85

the couple fellas that run it I hang with have good things to say about it, but in the same breath they also say the pumps at the local stations that do provide it say its VERY inconsistent at the pump and the one fella actually mixes his own...the other posters info is spot on....youll need more volume a proper pump and of course a compatible carb...Ive also thought of converting over for price differences and cooler (colder) fuel

#8 ·
the couple fellas that run it I hang with have good things to say about it, but in the same breath they also say the pumps at the local stations that do provide it say its VERY inconsistent at the pump and the one fella actually mixes his own...the other posters info is spot on....youll need more volume a proper pump and of course a compatible carb...Ive also thought of converting over for price differences and cooler (colder) fuel
Anyway to test for inconsistency in the fuel?
Any stations that tend to sell better fuel?
Thanks

#9 ·
You can get a tester to test the fuel for less than $20. Then just have to mix it to keep it the same. Or if your just driving it there can be a variance and you can still be fine. Pump gas is not consistant either but noone tests it to make sure. It will vary a point or 2 as well. For all out racing it needs to be the same everytime, but for driving it is fine. I have a friend that runs it in his 14-71 blown 540 Camaro on the street. If it comes up to E-90 it will run a little cooler. If it comes up to E-75 runs a little warmer. No major difference on a driver. During the winter months you will get a E-75 or E-70 blend to help with the starting of the car but it doesn't hurt anything for driving.

#12 ·
Several of us are running it in our race cars. We really like it. Fortunately for us, they dont't change the blend here, so we don't have to mess with the blend. We usually test the first batch of the season, but other than that, we just run it.

When we changed over, we only changed carbs. We had pumps, and fuel lines that were sufficient (just your standard braided steel lines and a Magna fuel QuickStar 175). You can figure on using 30% more fuel. If converting your own carb, there is more to do than just metering blocks. My brother and I bought carbs from Eric at horsepower innovations. Two of my buddies went with a different builder and have since sent them to Eric to be redone. If you are buying or converting a carb, you should at least give Eric a call.

#15 ·
It is a work in progress. I have my short block together. Just waiting on funds for the rest. I put it on hold for Christmas and next month will start on it again. Heads, intake and 1250 Dom E-85 carb will come end of next month. Then the twin 80's after that. Planning on end of race season to have it together.

#23 ·
i run e 85 in the race car love it will never go back unless they quit making it, we get it from the pump i found a place in ny state that keeps it between 87 89 car runs cool never over 180 at 14-1 picked up about a 10th and a half i had dale cubic do my carb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.