Chevy Nova Forum banner

What to do??

5K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Mike1979 
#1 ·
Last night at a local drive in show n shine a guy asked a lot of questions about my 77. He like the car, the way it was built and at the end asked if I would consider selling it. I told him not for a price anyone would pay...he said try me.
Told him bottom dollar would be $20k, he was still interested and took my name and number. From others that knew him at the show I was told he is a no nonsense kind of guy and has many nice cars including the 55 Bel Air he was in, a 57 Nomad wagon, a 63 split window Corvette and a few Fords.
Really do not know what to do if he calls back. IMO the price is above market value, but less than I have spent to get it where it is.

#2 ·
Tough call,if he is a no nonsence kind of guy you should just be able to talk to him.If the 20k is low tell him it was off the cuff and you have since dug out you reciepts and have "X" in it and are not really interested in selling it,but everything is for sale for a price.If your bored with it let it go,but I suspect your not.

#4 ·
If your bored with it let it go,but I suspect your not.
No, not yet anyway. Still love driving it. I will be at the same show next Thursday, see what happens then. Mary has suggested not to sell. She has seen every bit of the work that was done, saw the smiles and endured the anger when things were not going well.

#6 ·
I had a similar thing happen with my #'s car, a few years back. I threw an outrageous number to scare him off, he just asked when he could see it!:eek: I just wasn't ready to sell it even at an overinflated price and told him it really wasn't for sale. I still have the car unrestored and have never regretted not selling it.:no:

If you're ok with the number you put out, and will be ok to, then sell it, don't worry if he's over paying, that's up to the buyer. If you're not ready then let him know it's just not the right time for you to sell yet. If you think you'll regret it, then don't sell it.

#7 · (Edited)
Seems to me 20K is not the "crazy money" price. More like 30K would be "crazy money". But the bottom line is what the car means to you and I think it means more to you than 20K.

Just don't go over to the dark side (1st gen).:poke::devil:

On a side note watched two seemingly nice 3rd gens go for less than 14K at Mechum on TV today. That was hard to watch.

#8 ·
Id put it this way... what would the cost of an acceptable replacement (of any kind) be? Could you get it with 20 grand? Consider in the cost of the car not only the money spent but the personal work and involvement... THAT is hard to replace and the most expensive part of the equation.

Now, for discussion sake, you can find a pristine, 10K mile 4th gen that is brand new squeaky clean original to modify or preserve to your hearts content for no more than 8-10 grand... They are out there although you may have to chase em nationwide...

Good luck with your decision... its a good exercise to have a REALLY outrageous figure in mind for that special moment when the oddball millionaire comes along...

#10 ·
I watched the build on your car and I do not believe $20K is enough money for it at all. I would not sell my one of one 1978 9C1 coupe with 30K original and full documentation for under $25K!! As my wife puts it, labor of love. There is nothing wrong with 4th Gen Nova's pulling fair money. You can always ask what you want and the buyer can pay what he is willing to pay!!

#11 ·
hey man i hope you do what your heart tells ya that is one nice nova i hope mine can come along like yours and i agree you cannot get back the work days and effort you put into it you can only get the cash that they hand you and i think that i can say that you and your car inspired alot of 4th genners out there so please dont sell your self short. sure there will be other novas out there but its not the same when you dont have the one you put all your blood sweat and tears into

#12 ·
Philip -Your creativity, hard work and knowledge (not to mention money!) have produced a unique and beautiful car -- a real work of art, mechanically speaking. The ways you adapted and blended other parts (Olds, Cadillac,newer aftermarket, etc) in a way that works well produced a true hot rod in the classic sense. If you aren't bored with it, I'd keep it! :yes:

On the other hand if you are going to need the money out of it, sooner rather than later might be the best time to sell, given the econiomic uncertainties of today.

#13 ·
I think you should hold on to it and one day if you decide to part with her. Sell it to someone who will drive and take care of it, even if it is a young person. Im almost 30 now, I got my 77 when I was 13 my dad bought it for me as a project. I still have the 78 nova bought years ago and took years to get the owner to part with it. I also owned a 70 ss 393 project, 72 v8 a/c car, and a 74 at one time. But I have sold all the 3rd gen novas. The 3rd gen is my fav body style. But I regret selling the 72, If I ever got another chance to get a 3rd gen project I would keep it for life. All of my friends still have there first cars.

My whole point is If I had to sell mine, I would just make sure it went to someone that would love it just as much as I do.

#15 ·
If your asking if I owned your Nova would I sell it. NO!!!

But my Nova will never be as customized as yours is. In my opinion you have built a super nova that screams to be driven, and from what I can tell you do drive it. But this offer was made to you, what will you do?

#20 ·
He offered less, so the decision was much easier to make

Glad to see that the decision was made easier for you. As long as you are having fun with it, it is hard to put a price on it.

#21 ·
That motor trans rear gear ratio, you've got is about perfect in my book, in fact I'm building the same except using 255/60 Bfg TA's.

We've all seen the price of new cars and even 5 year old cars, a guy could easily spend double what you were asking on a new pony car or even a half ton 4X4 truck. And there isn't anything on the lot for 20K that comes in close to as cool as your ride.
Please forget what that guy offered and apologize to your car for even considering selling it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.