Chevy Nova Forum banner

882's to E-Streets

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  novascosha 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I made the decision to upgrade my 882's for some Edelbrock E-Streets 5089. My heads needed valve guide work and I wasn't about to put any money in them. I had Jegs price match the E-streets so I scored them for $848 shipped and they came with a free $100 Edelbrock gasket kit. Talked to Edelbrock and the Estreets now come with 1.46 springs rather than the old 1.25 diameter ones.

Also upgrading to a Performer EPS intake and Holley Street Avenger 670 carb.
Brown truck made my day :D

Pulled the old heads today, should have em installed before the weekend. :yes:

See less See more
#6 ·
Exactly, I saved enough on this order between the carb and heads that I had money for a new Performer EPS intake - and I got a gasket kit to boot.

Rather than having random sales and gimmicks, I think price matching is the way to go. Jegs has my business.

Ok, back to work. :eek:

#11 ·
Are those 64cc chambers? I know the 882's are 76cc chambered so you are getting a bump in compression also. Each point in compression raise is supposed to be around a 4% horsepower increase I believe.

#12 ·
Quick update, slowly been getting things installed...when the wife lets me. :D

Got everything buttoned up, ran through a few heat cycles and re-torqued everything. Went through a few sets of header gaskets trying a fix an exhaust leak. Finally found that I need a set of round port Fel-pro gaskets to go along with my longtubes, no more exhaust leaks.

Started tuning on the car with the new 670 Holley, I have a wideband AFR sensor. Found the carb was jetted lean on the primary side, increased jets 4 sizes and took care of the lean condition. Still tweaking on the tune, will play with timing next.

#13 ·
Looking good and should be running a lot better for you.

I always check my header gaskets against the header and the head before installation. I always use FelPro as well.

Now get out there and burn some rubber.

#19 ·
Part throttle cruising I was running 15-16 AFR. :eek: Once the secondaries kicked, it richened up to 12-13 AFR. Idle was fine at 13-14 AFR. Honestly, I probably need to jet back down to size 68, which is 3 sizes over stock.

It's not very surprising at all, considering I've heard that the Street Avengers are lean from factory.

#20 ·
Jetting...15-16 is not too lean at part throttle. If the car exhibits driveability issues (surging, etc) then yes too lean. But if smooth-go for the fuel mileage.

EFI: most will encourage AFR of 15+. Leaner the better if engine tolerates it at idle/part throttle...otherwise wastes fuel.

I went from 041 heads to AFR 210's...huge difference-big smile on my face!

#21 ·
Car drove like ish at 15-16+ AFR, lean backfiring and all. I've tuned on EFI cars and they love 14-15 AFR, and didn't experience the driveability issues as you transitioned from part throttle to acceleration. Carbs seem to require a slightly richer tune to allow the same driveability. It seems to do best around the 13-14 range, of course time will tell. Also, weather has an impact as well. I may indeed have to jet down come next summer.

#22 ·
Hey guys, decided to drive the car today up to Budd's Creek for the Nostalgia Drags event. Car drove great for the 300 mile round trip. :)

I went ahead and ran the car for some Test & Tune while I was up there. On 225/15 BFG Radials the car went 13.11 @ 102.5 mph with 1.98 60ft time. I plan on adding some MT Drag radials so I don't have to worry about blowing the tires. Also plan on adding 2-4 degrees of timing and stepping down a jet size on primary. I'm sure the car has a mid-12 second potential with some tweaking.

Either way, it was a good day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.