Chevy Nova Forum banner

Sonny Leonard 1005 cid engine

12K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  425olds 
#1 ·
http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/16550-morning-headline-news-test

Sonny’s Racing Components in Lynchburg, Va., is building what they say is the first drag racing engine over 1,000 cubic inches.

Craig Olson from CEO Racing in Seattle, Wash., will be the owner of the 1005 c.i. engine that is expected to make over 2150 horsepower.

The naturally aspirated engine will feature Sonny’s new fully in-house CNC ported Special Edition GM hemispherical cylinder heads with the Ultimate Pro Stock Porting. Other components will include SAR Custom Titanium valves; PSI springs; SAR Special Billet aluminum block with 2-inch raised cam to accommodate the custom 70 mm camshaft; Sonny Bryant billet crankshaft; GRP billet aluminum rods; mammoth SAR/ custom pistons with special ring package; SAR/CE 1.062 keyed lifters and 1.031 tool steel taper-wall pins; SAR/T&D/Jesel shaft-mounted rocker system; Jesel belt drive; custom Dailey 7 stage lightweight dry sump oiling system; ATI balancer; MSD Ignition; and SAR sheet metal Pro Stock intake. It also features SAR/Accufab throttle bodies, custom Big Stuff EFI, Sonny’s Billet valve covers, and an MSD Pro Series starter to turn over the beast.

See less See more
#5 ·
I like the idea it's naturally aspirated :yes: :thumbsup: but this is not the first 1000hp motor I've heard of. There are lots of noname guys making good power with old technology. Actually old and new. I'd love to just hear this monster, and see it run. What state is he in?:confused:

#7 ·
What state is he in?:confused:
He's up here in the Seattle area. He races Division 6 & 7 with both his door car and dragster (Top Sportsman & Comp)

Once they are 800ci or more they all sound pretty much the same. A good friend of ours has a 833ci, 892ci, & 932ci Sonny's...can't tell the difference when they are running.

#12 ·
My buddy bought a couple old BBF pro stock Kasse motors. 700 plus cubic inch hemi motors that are obsolete by todays standards. He wanted to freshen them and run them in a grudge type car up but Kasse wouldn't sell him the rings and nobody else had them. Kasse said send them back and we'll freshen them. While these hugh combos are available the owner will be stuck with having to send them back to the origional builder for any repair work. Not something the average racer wants but pretty darn cool to look at......LOL.

#14 · (Edited)
#16 ·
It doesn't stop. As long as there is a demand it keeps going. I think the next evolution will be 5.6" bore space. The other trend is guys using the big bore space block and shorter strokes and building smaller ci engines using the big block. We run a CFE intake that uses billet runners which is becoming more popular also.

#19 ·
I was giving this some more thought last night.
We know that increasing the bore centers allows for larger bores obviously.
When we do that, the crank gets longer, I read Sonny also increased the journal sizes.You gotta keep the crank strong enough.

So not to get off on a tangent, but take for instance a wooden structural beam, the width and depth of the beam increases to hold more weight and span. Eventually the engineering numbers stop working and the beam can no longer hold it's own weight and consequently the numbers start working back wards.

You would think that the same thing is going to happen here with these giant motors. I am thinking this approach is all gonna go away soon. Like people have said, "nobody knows where the limit is" You would think someone with enough engineering data and physics background would have an idea?

These motors are getting bigger and heavier and turning more revs.
You can only get so big before the car has to get bigger just to hold the motor.

Another thing is HP.. Correct me if I am wrong here. But I always thought the monster hp motors actually waisted Hp on the track.. I forget actually why.
I think the future is in finding how not to waist that HP , Looking into the frictionless world even further,including the drive train, possibly developing better combustion. What I am saying is besides the old rule, cubes make HP, we may be getting to a point where the cubes are running out of HP.

Which brings me to another thought,, I saw here on SSN someone posted a video of the fastest street car 260 plus miles per hour. In order to break the the previous record, the engineers needed to make I think over a hundred HP to gain 6 or 7 miles per hour(not sure of the exact figures) because of the air density. I think they said at a speed of 260 MPH the radiators where processing tons of air.. This makes me think, imagine a high diver ready to take the plunge, the water below is purposely disrupted to break the surface tension so when the diver hits the water he doesn't kill himself. Maybe this could be an example of what could applied to the drag world? Better aerodynamics or a gadget on the car that creates aerodynamics. Like a speed accessory.:D

so if you make a motor the size of a house this might be a problem.

don't forget,, we have electric motors that have allot more torque and produce more RPM'S than any internal combustion engine ever thought of.

The only problem is batteries. It would be like a guy trying to run home with a 30 pak without the box:cool:

#17 ·
they keep increaing the bore centers. when do you get to the point of no return? Did they not have trouble with the 12 jug motors, crank being too long, or does it matter? eventually your gonna turn the crank into a rubber band. Maybe they can come up with a two piece crank, that get's connected together with a spline in the middle somewhere.

#23 · (Edited)
i've wondered

if the next thing in Pro Mod , would be a device like this , to develop the thrust to spin a turbo ,,, it wouldn't be dependent on engine speed to develop boost ,,, it wouldn't place a load on the engine like a blown car has to spin the blower

a jet powered turbo

or you could have a turbo with 2 stages of drive turbines ,,, one that would use the exhaust from the engine for thrust ,, another stage for something like this,,, no lag for a turbo

#25 ·
if the next thing in Pro Mod , would be a device like this , to develop the thrust to spin a turbo ,,, it wouldn't be dependent on engine speed to develop boost ,,, it wouldn't place a load on the engine like a blown car has to spin the blower
A jet powered turbo... or you could have a turbo with 2 stages of drive turbines ,,, one that would use the exhaust from the engine for thrust ,, another stage for something like this,,, no lag for a turbo
Actually it's already been done for many years...it's called "nitrous". Road racers have used it for a long time to spin the turbos up just from nitrous pressure blowing on the turbine blades. Drag racers have done it but it's outlawed. (only one power adder rule) It works well and a few have been caught. :D

#24 ·
Really, the cost associated with building a larger cubic inch engine is not worth the gain in HP/TQ when there are less expensive alternatives to making the same power. As technology advances and people figure out how to put the power to the ground, you will see more turbo cars finding success. When is the last time you saw a naturally aspirated engine in the pro mod ranks? Ever?

#26 ·
When is the last time you saw a naturally aspirated engine in the pro mod ranks? Ever?
Actually yes, as recent as November. Our friend Frank Tamez has a brand new Bickel 69 Yenko Camaro with a 892ci N/A engine. With this engine & a automatic in his old GTO he ran 6.33 @ 221. He will be running with us in the West Coast Pro Mod Assoc this season.

#27 ·
I guess I should have been more specific. When is the last time you have seen a N/A pro mod qualify for one of the Get Screened America Pro Modified races?

By no means do I mean any offense to Frank (great guy) or others for running big numbers N/A. I love that they are doing what they are doing. That's to me what makes things interesting. My point was that running in Pro Mod with a N/A engine is more uncommon because as of yet, they are at a disadvantage.

BTW, I love Frank's new car! Did you see the rendering of the 69 Chevelle? That's frickin' awesome!

http://www.competitionplus.com/photo-gallery/gallery-2010?func=detail&id=170243

#29 ·
I guess I should have been more specific. When is the last time you have seen a N/A pro mod qualify for one of the Get Screened America Pro Modified races?

BTW, I love Frank's new car! Did you see the rendering of the 69 Chevelle? That's frickin' awesome!
Yes, you are correct, no N/A car ProMod has qualified for a GSA race. However if you want to get real technical about it, actually Nitrous cars are N/A!

Yes, I did see the Chevelle rendering...I'll have to see the real one to make a judgement but it could be pretty cool. I'm sure like most of them, the body has been narrowed several inches etc.

#34 ·
The Big Bad American Hemi Engine

Wonder what the german & asian racers think about us. Yes it bigger than 5 civic engines & about as mucn torque as 10. What kind of power would a 32 valve head engine like this put out . Also what about a top fuel engine like this put out. I wish i could get a low compression street engine of this size with a couple of hair dryers on it . Wow the street factor would be great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.