Chevy Nova Forum banner

JEGs 3in Dual Exhaust Kit

17K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  slickman 
#1 ·
My Nova is going to be needing new exhaust before I get it back on the road (I'd prefer open headers, but the local law enforcement says otherwise :rolleyes:). The 350 in my car right now is around 300hp give or take a few, but the 406 I'm planning to build would like the flow of a larger diameter exhaust. So, instead of doing the exhaust twice I was thinking about going ahead and getting this http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30565/10002/-1?parentProductId=751868 and Hooker Max Flow mufflers. It's a 3in kit from JEGs that says it fits 4th gen Novas and goes over the rear end and exits behind the rear wheels. I was wondering if anyone here has used this particular kit, or ran 3in pipe over the axle with out many clearance issues? I plan for the 406 to have around 450 to 500hp at the crank and I've always been told that anything over 400hp should have 3in exhaust. Would I really need the 3in exhaust?

#2 ·
No the 3' exhaust isn't needed for the level of power you expect to have. I think it should be based on cubic inch not horsepower. A small block is only capable of moving do much air in and out. Some of the new BB engines would require it, like the 540, 572 ect.

My 406 is in the 450 horse range with 2.5" exhaust.

#4 ·
That does make sense, I think I might look around a little more but it looks like I'll be getting 2.5" to save some money.

Im would go with a Summit kit with the "X" pipe

just me.

mine came from http://www.torquetechexh.com/ there web site sucks.
I purchased from them at Super Chevy in Atlanta. Kit is 5 years old now. Still looks perfect.

Al
I've looked at the summit kits, but they don't sell just the pipe and want to include their brand of turbo mufflers :rolleyes:. Jegs sells a 2.5" kit with no mufflers for $150, which I think I'm going to get and an X pipe as well.

#6 ·
i have long tubes on my 454,

and 3 inch from the collectors, it bends in and up towards the middle, and tucks along the tunnel....

goes along the tunnel, and the flowmasters kind of fit in where the rear tunnel widens for the pumpkin

i actually hung them off the rear seat belt holes, because i took out the seat belts.

FWIW, the emergency brake no longer works, because the pipes hit the cables, so i just cut all the Ebrake parts off.

i can get pics if you want, it is up on blocks for the next week, at least.

#8 ·
oh sure, i will roll around on the cold concrete and take pictures so you can window shop :rolleyes:

of course, i wanted some pics too!! :D

I really want to post up pics, and see if anyone has pipes like mine, and see if they ended at the axle, or if going over the axle and out the sides made it quieter.

bound to be loud in there, wanna street drive it to car shows & stuff.

#13 ·
I've looked at the summit kits, but they don't sell just the pipe and want to include their brand of turbo mufflers :rolleyes:. Jegs sells a 2.5" kit with no mufflers for $150, which I think I'm going to get and an X pipe as well.[/QUOTE]

i didnt know jegs sells a 2.5 system without mufflers. thats great! anyone get it yet?

#19 ·
I've looked at the summit kits, but they don't sell just the pipe and want to include their brand of turbo mufflers :rolleyes:. Jegs sells a 2.5" kit with no mufflers for $150, which I think I'm going to get and an X pipe as well.
i didnt know jegs sells a 2.5 system without mufflers. thats great! anyone get it yet?[/QUOTE]

Summit does too. Add "-NM" to the part number. Hell, the kit WITH the mufflers is the no muffler kit with two extra boxes.

#14 ·
I think this is the kit I used - 17104k flowmaster part number. shows on jegs fits up to 74, if i remember correctly it used to fit up to 79. I belive the reason is because 75-79 were factory single exhaust and single cat converter. I installed high flow dual cats with this system and changed the collectors on the headers to flowmaster pulse tech scavenger collecter for a 2 1/2" exhaust all the way out. muffler fits in stock location and the sound is great, loud but legal:devil: and could not tell any difference in performance than open headers:D just need turndowns, the pipes stop about 8" from bumper that were in my kit. I know it is more expensive but I installed the pipes in 95, car has set since 2000 and they look all but new, the aluminizing I think makes the difference.

#16 ·
If your making your own 2 1/2 inch exhaust and want an x-pipe buy the summit or jegs x pipe kit 89.99 and flowmaster tailpipes 129.99 and your choice of mufflers. The flowmaster pipes exit out the back and are bent better than the ones in the summit kit. You also need 12 inches of straight pipe on each side to connect the x pipe to the mufflers.
Dan

#17 · (Edited)
If your making your own 2 1/2 inch exhaust and want an x-pipe buy the summit or jegs x pipe kit 89.99 and flowmaster tailpipes 129.99 and your choice of mufflers. The flowmaster pipes exit out the back and are bent better than the ones in the summit kit. You also need 12 inches of straight pipe on each side to connect the x pipe to the mufflers.
Dan
I've been toying with the idea of adding an x-pipe, and for around $350 I think I've found my exhaust set up. I would prefer the pipe exiting behind the rear wheels at an angle, instead of straight out the back though. Are those mufflers offset in and center out?

#22 ·
honestly that's not a bad price for that kit. You get everything you need from the looks of it. If you're state allows it you could just go w/ dual glass packs.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Flowtech/Flowtech-Purple-Hornies-Header-Muffler/744745/10002/-1

That's whats going on my car. I am also using Flowtech's Turbo After-Burner headers, mainly because they are proven. Honestly I've never been a summit customer, I looked on there the other day for Fuel Cells for my Nova. I looked through every single page of that section, I found the fuel cell I wanted, but no 0-90 Ohm GM sending unit included. Jeg's has one that includes that piece all ready, sure I might pay a little more but at least i don't have to buy it separate. I don't know, I've never had any problems with Jegs at all, hell they let me trade in a bunch of parts for an old 3rd Gen camaro i use to own for a punch of parts for my Nova 6 months after i bought them. But to each their own. :yes:

#27 ·
honestly that's not a bad price for that kit. You get everything you need from the looks of it. If you're state allows it you could just go w/ dual glass packs.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Flowtech/Flowtech-Purple-Hornies-Header-Muffler/744745/10002/-1
yeah, i would just get some glass packs if i was you. im running dual purple hornys on my Nova and it sounds GREAT!:yes: it is loud and i was thinking about getting one of the kits you guys are talking about but im just gonna wait and see how my local law enforcement takes the glass packs because i love the sound.

#30 ·
For what it worth.. I installed a 3 inch Pypes Exhaust system #PYE-SGF13 (all stainless), Dynomax ULTRA FLO mufflers and polished stainless steel tips. This system is the best sounding setup I have ever heard hands down! My engine is about 425hp with about 450ft lb tq...

Here's some pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.