Chevy Nova Forum banner

Convertible owners...got a swaybar?

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Carl Stevenson 
#1 ·
In the process of stripping my Nova 400 hardtop, I noticed that it was equipped with an swaybar up front.

Today, I finished stripping the suspension from the SS convertible and noted that it did not have a swaybar. I called Novavetteguy and learned that his convertible did not have a swaybar either when it was stripped for it's new aftermarket subframe.

So, was this common with convertibles, or do some SNS member have swaybars on their stock convertible suspension?

#10 ·
First, my SS convertible does not have a sway bar. All the '63 convertibles were built at Willow Run. I don't think some would have had sway bars and some not. I've never seen or read anywhere that sway bars came standard on these cars or were an option. The assemby manual does not show them, either. It's likely these were aftermarket add ons to some cars over the 50 years of their existence.

Bob

#19 ·
No, F40 does not include a front bar, at least not on a 65 Acadian, at least not on my car. I bought it from the original little old lady owner, age 74, in 1986. It did not have a bar. I seriously doubt she removed the front bar to lighten up the car for drag racing her 194 Powerglide Sport Deluxe!!!

I have seen other F40 X body first gen cars that didn't have a front bar either. I'm convinced it was only on wagon or V8.

#25 ·
Carl, I'm wondering how you could get a sway bar if you didn't have a V/8 or a wagon and it wasn't part of a HD suspension option. I don't think I've ever seen an RPO number for a sway bar (or anti roll bar as it's sometimes referred to).

Bob

#26 ·
I am under the impression there was no way to order a bar, at least any that I've ever seen or heard of. I think you either bought a car that had one (V8 or wagon) or you didn't get one.

Certainly it would have been easy enough to get a dealer to put one on, it's such a simple thing to add but I can't find any info anywhere to order one, like you say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.