Chevy Nova Forum banner

Finally got the old heap running

13K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  DEL 
#1 ·
About 5 years ago I bought a set of "double" beadlocks for my old beat up 67 Nova. The goal was to mini-tub it and spray the old small block that was in it.

Well...as they say its a slippery slope.

Thanks to my wife and family. They aren't into any of this stuff and its all they heard about from me for the past few years. They mostly tolerate it :)

Thanks to Chris and Jordan Storlie of Storlie Brothers Racing a.k.a. JS Racecars. These guys did all the metal work, fabrication, welding, design, etc. They're artists and engineers. The car doesn't look good on the outside but the fitment of the pipe and components is perfection thanks to the Storlie boys. A lot of the parts came off of their bad *** black all steel 200 MPH 55 Chevy. There is nobody around here (Oregon) that does the kind of work they do. I'm lucky to have them 15 minutes away. (and they don't mind when we leave our beer cans all over the shop)

Thanks to my "crew" Brett Davis, Scott Davis, Ron Huegli and our leader for all the support and encouragement. In the video below thats Scott working the throttle.

Thanks to the AFP boys (Walter Grosse, Jeff Hryciw and Jeff Malar) for the examples you've provided over the years (even if they were Fords and Buicks)

Thanks to Scott James (aka video ninja) for the info and advice over the years. You've been there and done that with your 8 second street car.

Thanks to Darren Hall for the smoking deal on the beadlocks...after all that's what started it all :)

A few words about the car: Its a twin turbo 540, Dart block and heads, Precision 7675 turbos, 160 injectors (thanks Brian Robards) its a Big Stuff 3 computer (Thanks Eric Eddy) its got a Turbo 400 (Thanks Bill Gee) and a Strange Fab9 with 3:50 gears. Its got 275's on it.

Its only legal for 8.50's and I hope to get there in 2013.

http://youtu.be/hwR6tFgLTcs

http://youtu.be/tQXuiePv9FI

See less See more
#8 ·
Nice car indeed...interested if you have any other shots of the engine bay where the turbo's go into the headers. Doesnt matter how long it takes to complete because it tastes that much sweeter when you get to fire it up and move it! Sounds good!!!!!!!!!

#11 ·
I don't plan to race it at any PSCA events this year. I've attended the SCSN event a bunch of times to watch my buddies race. I'd love to bring the car there and run it, who knows, maybe 2014.

#13 ·
Another milestone today, took it for a test drive.

Open exhaust
No lights
No mirrors

Fortunately I live out in the sticks and there was also no traffic and no cops.

Nothing fell off the car or caught on fire so it was a successful 1.5 mile jaunt.

The engine seemed happier on the e85 but will still need a lot of tuning.

It feels really good after so much time and so much damn money.

#21 ·
Right on getting to "driving" status! Are all your "before" pics gone? I seem to remember pics of your quarter panel replacement on the NW Nova site and pics of the cage install which I have been looking for, but couldnt remember If they were on the Nova site or HUNW site. Both gone now, dammit. but very interested in your cage. You should do a build thread on this site.

#24 ·
I don't have any pics of the actual cage install. The main part of the cage was done before I decided to back-half it. Brian Sells @ Red Line did the main hoop-forward. I do have a few pics of the back half and other stuff on photobucket http://s653.beta.photobucket.com/user/dloneyv8/library/67 Nova project

I don't have any of the stuff from the old HUNW or NW Nova sites. I do have a ton of pictures of the car over the past 4 years but I would need to get them organized to do a build site. They're spread across a few places.

I hope to hit the road in a month or two once the mufflers and light-wiring is done. I'm betting I won't hit the track until the fall. Still need to buy a bunch of safety equipment.

#28 ·
Thanks Brandon! I finally ordered the rest of the parts to do the exhaust. I need to get moving and get the lights wired and get tags on it so I can semi-legally take it for a longer test drive.

#29 ·
sweet...you mr. have a monster on your hands. So where in oregon anyhoo? will you be racing at woodburn? PIR? I'd like to check it out in person when the time comes.

If you need help tuning i HIGHLY recommend PSI on hwy 26. they have two guys who REALLY know their stuff!

#30 ·
If the stars align I'll be running it at Woodburn once or twice before the season is over. Getting it road worthy is one thing but to race it is going to require a full on SFI outfit, NHRA competition license, etc etc. I'm still a ways off from that.

I've been to PSI before. Great people and a very nice shop. I've got some tuning help on hand but who knows we may end up turning the screws on PSI's Dyno.

#31 ·
if you're only gonna be able to "possibly" run once this year you might wanna save a year of your date stamped saftey stuff. Could you maybe back the beast down a bit (i mean a lot) so you could still play this year?

Good luck!

#32 ·
I thought I would post an update here. I did finally get the car to the track last September for some test hits. I made 3 passes total and the 3rd was a 9.23 @ 161. I was babying it out of the hole and only had a 1.72 on that pass. I was thrilled with the speed, the car ran great and went nice and straight. That pass hit 10.7 psi of boost near the finish line so we're not really leaning on it much.

Fast forward to today, the car is almost done being painted.

I'll have some pictures soon.

After getting back from paint I'm sure I'll burn some time bolting everything on and cleaning up the wiring.

After that I STILL need to cert the cage and get all my safety gear.

I've driven the car around a bit on the street. Its a monster with even just a little boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.