Chevy Nova Forum banner

7qt. deep sump oil pan not reading correct with factory dipstick?

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  tehdrizzle 
#1 ·
I went to take a look at a motor that a local guy had recently built. I didn't see receipts for the internal parts, the only thing that I could verify were the rocker arms, intake, fuel pump, and starter. He was able to fire it up with no issue and it sounded really good and strong. However my concern is when checking the oil level. It was about 1 qt. low and he stated that since the dipstick he was using came from a stock 63 Impala sbc and that this motor has a 7qt deep sump kickout oil pan that is normal and I would have to get a different dipstick. The oil looked good and didn't smell burnt or anything. I'm just looking to see if this is accurate or if I should pass on this deal. Here are the specs of the motor:

-GM 2 piece rear main seal block bored .40 over and converted to accept roller cam
-TRW forged flat top pistons
-GM powdered metal connecting rods
-GM forged steel crankshaft
-Pro Comp aluminum heads with 165cc intake runner, 2.02" intake valves, 1.60" exhaust valves, and 64cc compustion chamber
-Chromoly piston rings
-Chromoly pushrods
-Comp 1.52 ratio roller tip rockers
-GM LT4 hot cam
-GM roller lifters with dog bones
-Edelbrock Performer intake
-stock GM 350sbc fuel pump
-Summit Racing long nose high flow aluminum water pump
-Summit Racing 7qt. deep sump oil pan
-Mallory 85 series HEI distributor
-Rebuilt stock 350sbc starter

Any opinions are greatly appreciated on this deal.

Thanks,
-Paul

See less See more
#10 ·
That was a pic that I used just for reference since the motor that this guy has looks identical and was trying to get opinions on the color to paint it. Sorry for the confusion on that one.

So for the price of $2650 should I jump on this one after hearing it run? This thing has no leaks from what I saw and I went over the thing with a fine tooth comb to search for them. It looks like the oil pan and timing cover are sealed water tight! He did say that the pistons were lightly used, how lightly I’m not sure, and I know it’s only as good as his word, but he said they came from a “street” motor even though that could mean a light street motor or something that was pounded on.

#3 ·
Unless I'm off my nut...... a 2 piece rear main seal and stock GM HYD roller cam stuff dont work..

I was not aware TRW still made autoparts....or they are very old VMS75 alloy pistons

as for the dip stick..... the reading is correct.. for 6 quarts of oil.. i quart down is the norm.. the reason we use deep pans is to get the oil farther from the crank.. there by reducing windage..... you can fill the oil pan to the mark on the dip stick if you wish.. but you defeat the reason to have the pan

#4 ·
I was not aware TRW still made autoparts....or they are very old VMS75 alloy pistons

TRW is still in business, mostly USA Automotive parts supplied to to foreign markets.
http://www.trwaftermarket.com/
And for the record, TRW never made anything, they are a distribution network.
They had parts made and branded with there name.

I have TRW pistons in my 355, technical "Speed pro"

Today (and for sometime) TRW pistons are manufactured by Federal Mogul (Seal Power)

TRW has always been a consolidation and distribution network, they have become mostly obsolete in the USA market. The large Automotive parts chains have mostly eliminated the WD jobber network.

FYI
Al

#5 ·
yeah,,, Speedpro had similar numbering to TRW.... in their piston lines....I thought Speed pro acquired the TRW forging line.... as was in not TRW that supplied GM with all its forged pistons in the 1960's?

so your saying that TRW supplied GM with a forged piston that they got from Federal Mogul?

#7 · (Edited)
First, I would have to say that I am not crazy about using late model factory roller tappets and accessories in an older block, but thats just me.

Al I think TRW used to make a lot of pistons, untill they were bought by Federal Mogul. A short time later FM bought Sealed Power, and a bunch of other companies including Fel Pro, and started combining them.

My understanding was TRW supplied about all of the "cheap" forged pistons back in 60s and 70s and even into the 80s. Even the GM forged stuff says TRW on it.

TRW supplied a lot of pistons to Sealed Power and others, some machined some not.

I think about all of the combined pistons that FM sells now for the general aftermarket, except for a couple of numbers come from either India or Italy, unless they rebox Silvolite stuff from Mexico.

I may be wrong Al, but I think TRW was the basic forging company for themselves, Speed Pro, and others.

TRW still has a steering gear manufacturing facility here in Lafayette. They just built a new plant.

#20 ·
Look at Scoggins Dickey or Summit for some new crate engines from Chevrolet. You can always add on to them in the future if you don't have all the money for the horsepower level you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.