Chevy Nova Forum banner

Mario`1972 Nova

13K views 49 replies 22 participants last post by  Mario 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, thanks for having me. I was visiting this site for a little over 4 years now, when I bought my 1972 Chevy Nova. So I think it is time now to sign up here for at least giving back what this site gave to me in my endless journey of building up my baby.

By checking my license plate you surely noticed I`m located in Germany. Actually not a country you see Nova`s driving around the neighbourhood all day long so let me say, this site here helped me out a lot finding out stuff during the restoration process. The Nova came to me 5 out of 10 I would say. So there was definitely something to do to bring it to what I wanted it look like. It was nothing special, no matching numbers or kind of stuff. Just a simple Nova with slightly modified 350 SB, Chevy Rally Wheels and it got a new paint job by the previous owner just a couple weeks before he sold it. He painted it black.

I got the car end of summer time, so I drove it that way for the first couple month until winter. The paint looks killer on pics but sadly was not really well made. No parts removed to do it, just taped and sprayed over. Well, not the biggest problem though. I had my buddy cover the car with matt black foil and this would do it for the first year.

The main thing I wanted to keep my attention on was the wiring harness, and some minor things like new carpet and dash board. The carpet looked like it was used as bottom layer in a tiger cage or something. And the only thing that worked in the dashboard was the speedo lights. So I replaced the dashboard and entire wiring. You won`t believe the chaos the old wiring went through. There were cables sticking out that were cut and repaired like 10 times within 20” of length. And that from the front to the end of the car. In that year, with the 350 engine it run 13.8 sec at the quarter mile.

During the second winter I noticed little bubbles coming through the paint around the wheel house. What I found was 0.4” filler beneath places trying to hide something. So I removed the foil and removed the entire skin mixture consisting of 4 different paint colors and some filler. That buddy looked like it got some bad crash in it`s rear left with some poor try to fix it prior it got the black paint. I cut the entire panel out and built a new one in.

Back when I added the new carpet, I noticed that someone must have welded around on the floor pan too, so I checked that again in detail now when the entire car was built apart anyway.

What I found there was 3 (!) driver side floor pans welded on top of each other. Seems like two times someone did not had the time to cut the old one out first but just added a newer one to it. The trunk and some other spots got rust holes and were in a bad condition too so I decided to cut everything out just leaving the part left that sits under the rear bench.

Added a new trunk floor, passenger and driver floor and parts of the tunnel. Then covered it with sound deadener matt.

The next year I had the car up for a new paint job and decided to go for a shiny black-grey.

Now when everything was brand new I HAD to do the engine bay too. I threw out the engine and bought a 383 stroker block from my buddy. I just added new heads, intake and a 750 Holley DB. Powder coating the wheel house and cleaning/painting the fire wall.

Some other things were made too. Actually too much to list but I will try my best to name a few things that came to mind: HiJackers, new breaks, sway bar at front, oil cooler, stainless steel break lines, battery to the rear, new hood hinges, Ansen Sprint wheels on the daylies and Weld wheels for my race set up, B&M shifter, electric fan, electric fuel pump, electric water pump, sub frame connector, 2.5” exhaust x pipe, superior rear axle, two air fuel ratio sensors and gauges, front spoiler, new seals (doors, trunk, lights, windows), 3.55:1 rear, poly bushings, new window frame moldings, stinger hood, aluminum radiator, MSD Hei distributor, Dynomax muffler, new hooker headers, new springs in front and rear, gas tank powder coated, new windshield (old one got damaged when removed at the paint shop), added Autometer gauges for water temp, oil press etc. 2 new kick panel with loudspeakers and so much more… 12.8 sec was the best that year.

This year I threw out that 383 engine and built up a brand new 427 Dart SHP stroker. Added the old Edelbrock Victor Jr heads and intake (I had port matched and painted them), ultra pro magnum roller rocker, Comp endure x mechanical lifter, Comp forged roller cam and added a 2” tapered spacer.

Upgraded to a TH350 TCI streetfighter and aluminum drive shaft.

That combo made a low 11 sec at the quarter mile. After that I threw in a new MSD system, swapped out the standard Holley main body with a HP version and some other things here and there.

The car runs best with 100 octane and is a KILLER street car that would not hide the race track. Oh and I noticed most of the pics show the race seats in there. Currently I do have the bench in again. Since most on the car is brand new, I like that "nostalgic" bench thing with it. It`s still the original one and I will have it leathered up this winter.

I have many more pics up on my hard drive so I can upload them by chance. However, here are some of the newest pics. Hope you enjoy. Thanks.

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
When I added the hood, I built a custom cold air induction system where the filter slips right into it and seals around the base. I will make sure to take a pic of it by chance.

Here`s another race pic I found online :popcorn:

And two videos of that exact race. I was racing against my best buddy with his Camaro. Wait for the end to see some transmission action. That was the race I went 12.8 with the 383. You can see his drive shaft flying around at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATjfa5KPhKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYeFVDOVJZo

#10 ·
Thanks guys.
I noticed the "this is no place for build threads" guidline. Can I move the thread over to the "3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's" somehow? I think it would fit there a lil better. Maybe if a mod can help me out?

Thanks a ton.

#14 ·
Hey guys, here some little update.

here`s the engine with the MSD stuff installed. Black 8.5 ignition wires instead of the Accel red 8mm. The coil sits next to the distributor, not seen in the pic and the box was installed under the dash. You can see the new Holley main body too from the HP series.

Also added to the bunch is a new gas pedal. The original one would not fully open the Holley. I added a stopping plate, when reached you have 100% butterfly open. I had to drill a new hole where the cable runs through, the original was like 1" too high. Also had to cut that plastic cover a bit (don`t know how you call that piece) to make place for the linkage.

And here some rondom pics I took quickly with crappy Iphone while I was at the shop today. Will add better ones next year when everything is cleaned.

And I got some requests for the custom "hood air filter encasement" that I built. Basically I added a plate to create a closed case between the scoop and the air filter. The back side was closed too. Then cut a hole in there, added the round wall and that`s practically it. Don`t get me starded on details, it cost hours and days actually to find the right way to do :)
The air filter slips right into the hole and there is a rubber seal that seals exactle around the air filter base when the hood is closed. The pic taken was the best I could do to show with my hands still in there.

Here we go:

#17 ·
Hey buddy, these are Hooker Competition. I got them with the 350 the car came with. I never changed them so I also used them with the 383 and finally with the 427. They work great, I sand blasted them and gave them a black finish... Well and finally wrapped them. Both sides needed some hammer work to match in there.

Mario

#26 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Here`s a little update from today. I installed the rear bench again. The frist thing I did 4 years ago when I got the car was to throw it out for weight reason.. however I think that way it looks simply a little more nostalgic. I can tell you, getting it back in there was driving me crazy! My hands look like I was attacked by a bear.

Allright, and here`s something I custom built this year. The cooling system that went into my Nova would not let the temp rise over 180 degrees (at highway cruise). Even during German summer time at 90 degrees. And if, the two electric fans would make their job and cool the baby back down to 170 automatically in like 20 seconds. HOWEVER, this means if the temp outside at evening time during fall season is below 60 degrees, the engine water temp would barely reach 160 degrees. So I designed this piece here. A plexiglass wall that just slips between the hood and bumper to cut the air flow down to 30%. The little air that drives through the two extra oil coolers that I installed inside the bumper and the air that gets thrown up the spoiler to the aluminum whater cooler is enough to keep the temp at 170-180 that way.

The car has 4 oil cooler (two for each, transmission and motor oil), two electric fans (the puller with shroud) that activate when whater reaches 185 degrees and cools it back down to 170. The whater cooler has a rubber seal around the hole so no air would escape but is forced to go the way through it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.