Chevy Nova Forum banner

2 groove valves

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ALLT4 
#1 ·
I decided to trash my OEM valves while I'm working on the heads and replacing them with some Manley valves. I ordered the Budget Performance Intakes 1.94" for my vortecs. Summit listed them as SINGLE groove, but they are double groove.

Can I use a double groove valve??? I don't even know what the double grooves are for...

I called Manley, and they only sell the single groove in the RACE valve which if over kill and over priced for my application.

Thanks!

#2 ·
From what I understand 2 groove valves can use 2 groove locks. You hardly ever see this though except on stock applications. Does this mean you can't use a 1 groove lock, no you see it everyday. IMHO a single groove lock is better because the holding power really isn't the groove, it's the interference angle that only gets stronger with spring pressure. The stiffer the spring the more clamping force the locks will place on the valve stem and retainer. The groove hardly does anything at that point.

I'm not this smart I just read it, but with a double groove valve stem it actually weakens the clamping force because now you have removed some of the contact area at the lower groove. The lock bottom isn't against the stem now but the lower groove. Will your retainers go flinging off, hardly with the metallurgy of retainers being so good it's unlikely if possible. With either though I would invest a little cabbage in some machined locks for good measure. Not gonna break the bank for some piece of mind.

#3 ·
I already have the machined locks I want to use and good retainers. They are single locks, however, and I do want to use the singles I have.

so just to confirm... its quite alright to use the single groove locks with a double groove valve?

#4 ·
The 2 groves on the valves are for the use in a factory application that use a o-ring for a oil seal trapping the oil held in the retainer.

I will post illustration in a min.
Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.