Chevy Nova Forum banner

1st-2nd Genner V8 Alt & P/S bracket ?'s

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  SouthBay2s 
#1 ·
hey guys,

looking through the assembly manual i find images/part numbers for the brackets to mount the alternator and power steering pump.

for the power steering, the pump front, block bracket, i have. i think they're all the same. well i thought the rear/side brackets were all the same too.

here is what the assy manual shows...

and here, if you've seen this unit, as crappy as the image is, you'll recognize it. this is the unit i have... it sandwiches between the mount & block.

are they the same, just a screwy image, will what i have work in conjunction with the factory manifolds/alternator mounting? they all have to be in alignment...

and this is an El Chrome-O alt bracket... i don't think it's correct for anything, really... i checked it and it won't work for the ChevyII set up :(

this is what the assy manual shows, although they skip the part identification... anyone have an image of the correct bracket?

can you guys POST pics/clear this up for me?

thanks. ;)

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey Flyer you also need to be lookin or fabin a little bracket thet keeps the power steering hoses tucked close to the frame rail.getting the lines tucked and clear of center link and tie rods full turn to turn is essential.the assembly manual should show ya the bracket

#5 ·
that, i believe, is something i can probably make... of course it'll probably end up being something i can't make and it'll be a special thirty billion dollar part :doh: ;)

actually i don't think the hoses or brackets will be an issue. this is a R&P equipped car... my hoses will be customs...
Thanks ;)

#6 ·
Your P/S pump is a later pump so the brackets could be off another car, but still work correctly.

As for the alternator there were at least two different ways they were mounted to the exhaust manifold in this period. The manifolds you run will dictate the alternator brackets you need and also the clocking of the alternator. My wagon had a true Nova V8 with all the "Nova" accessories and brackets, but exhaust manifolds off something else. The alternator would not mount correctly and it became trial and error with brackets. Ended up using an aftermarket adjustment bracket. Real pain in the *****

#7 ·
yes, that's what i'm trying to avoid... i've collected the ChevyII manifolds, the ChevyII alt mount bracket. i see the specially bent upper adjustment bracket. the power steering pump in the image is just one of a few pumps i have (happens to be bolted to an engine) but the brackets in that picture are the only brackets i believe i have... i'm thinking the front bracket is the same but the rear changed through the years. that one i know came off of a '66 Chevelle & same as on a '66 Bel Air... hoping it, used with the front is going to line up correctly with the ChevyII stuff.

probably hoping for someone with a mish-mashed engine like i'm building to tell me they'll work. ;)

#8 ·
If you have all the correct Nova alt brackets and exhaust manifolds you should be fine. The P/S brackets likely changed to deal with differences in car frames and available space, but I doubt the general geometry of how the brackets placed the pump on the engine in relation to the engine pulleys changed. For the sake of this discussion we can assume all the blocks were the same in those days, so even if a bracket is shaped different it still has to mount to the same bosses on the block and align with the same crank pulley across all the car lines. NOW what can differ is the pulleys themselves. I have somewhere an original double groove power steering pump pulley. There are also multi-groove water pump and crank pulleys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.