Chevy Nova Forum banner

Finally! Starting on my 64SS!

57K views 276 replies 68 participants last post by  64SSOwner 
#1 ·
Just wanted to share pictures of my Nova, had this car over 10 years and am finally able to do it the way I have always wanted!

Got the TCI front clip last weekend from Fed Ex, and am probably going to get the 4-link for the rear too! Ideally with a 9" posi unit. Really want those 8" wides in the back! I'm going to keep the non-factory 327 and T-10, add a vintage air kit to ward off the desert heat. I'm thinking gunmetal grey Americans to quasi-match my Chevelle.

I included a pic of the badge, I was able to decode that it is a real SS, but couldn't figure out the ACC line. I'm pretty sure it's a factory 4 speed. I followed the link in other posts, but did not see a "G" option... Interesting...

It's currently factory Goldwood yellow, but I plan on installing new door skins and quarters, and going with Tuxedo black! Kind of a resto mod theme! The pictures don't show it, but the car is full of mud in the doors quarters... Definitely want to get rid of the nasty vinyl top!

The previous owner raced the car alot, notice the fenderwell headers!

Anyways, enjoy!

See less See more
#8 ·
Oh you noticed! The previous owner ground off all the mounting screws on the emblems, filled in th holes, and used double sided tape!:eek:

The fender emblem on the passenger's side was actually mounted correctly, nice huh!

Pretty much going to have to get all new emblems!

#20 ·
Vinyl Top

Thanks for all the posts guys, but I do not believe the vinyl top is an original option to the car...

It's been a long time ago, but I thought the guy I bought it from told me that he had the vinyl added...

Here's a pic of the rivets that the trim clips were mounted to, they just look added after the fact to me, i don't know.

#21 ·
My paint/powdercoat booth and updates

Just wanted to share my paint/powdercoating setup that I use in my home garage. It's nothing fancy, but it works and keeps things clean!

Also my harbor freight special blasting cabinet!

Got some trim back from straightening and polishing!

And got my rear end!

Soon as I get the door skins and quarter panels on and most of the bodywork done, I can get the car blown apart!

#22 ·
I guess I will continue updating this thread as I work on the car...

It's currently getting door skins and quarter panels, which I will leave as it's own thread, but here is the link:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174647

Here is what I have been up to in the meantime:

Powdercoated valve covers

Powdercoating large items with a 1500 watt patio heater

Wheels an tires

Painting emblems

Painting the rear end and air cleaner, this is the color the car will be! Using Dupont base coat clear coat! Geez, they don't give this stuff away!

#24 ·
Thank you! The paint is Model Masters brand model car enamel, Insignia Red is the color, and the black is their Flat Black color. The Nova SS fender emblems are some NOS pieces. I think the color is dead on to the NOS color, though it is possible GM may have messed up the color a little...

#25 · (Edited)
Vent window rebuild

Got my vent windows rebuilt, John Picolla supplied the materials! Followed the instructions in the best of body and interior section.

Before:

After:

The fit was great, I don't know what brand he gave me but he said it was USA made! Only "issue" might be where the tab cutout didn't quite lineup with the tab in the 3rd pic from bottom...

#27 ·
Thank you! I can't wait to get it back from body shop purgatory, it will be nice to see some actual pics of the car in this thread!

The scary thing about the vinyl top is that this car was garage kept and has been in Las Vegas for at least 14 years while I've owned it, and out west for the other portion of it's life! Imagine if it was back east or in the south! There probably wouldn't be a roof left! :eek:

#29 ·
Updates!

Powder coated the rotor center sections and brackets:

Various suspension pieces powder coated:

Windshield trim polished and straightened:

Control arms painted, should have powder coated, but they were already assembled...

I also have decided on dark red for the interior color! John Piccola was nice enough to show me a couple of samples. I couldn't decide on the fawn or the dark red, so I "rendered" what I want to do using another member's interior picture. It's crude but it gives me a good idea!

Dark red seat covers:

My rendering, the headliner and windlace will be black with a red package tray. The gauge cluster will be stock with a tach where the clock goes in the center.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.