Chevy Nova Forum banner

mono to multi leaf spring

16K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Novaman71 
#1 ·
I want to upgrade top multi leaf, can i just cut the old perches out and weld new ones on and install multi leaf leaf springs?

#2 ·
You will need different spring perches than the mono leafs, but yes, as far as cutting is concerned, you can do that. You will need to get it just right though as not to mess up your pinion angle. I am not 100% sure how you go about measuring pinion angle that way, but that's the only thing you will need to worry about perch-wise.

#3 ·
Assuming that you have monos on right now, I would keep them and if your monos still hold your car up, you can install a full floater rear hanger and run a ladder bar. You can keep your original mono and strap on helper leaves making your own multi-leaf spring by adding the Calvert half spring (an old trick as only the front half of the spring controls engine torque) and using the their torque tube (traction bar).
If you are going to go multi-leafs you have to decide between three leaf, five leaf, six leaf and half leaf add ons. The spring eye material makes a difference as well. You can use aluminum in the front eye but not in the rear hangers as they have to have some deflection to keep from binding. Polyurethane and Delrin plastic bushings both work as well as a hard rubber bushing.
Alot depends on what your overall goals with the car are. Most dealers sell set-ups that are a direct bolt on requiring no fabrication, if you think you have to move your perches then you should look at a different dealer. Just make sure you get the right arch, they are different between set-ups, traction bar or no bar.

#6 ·
Contact ESPO Springs & Things. they can sell you springs and pads and everything else you need to to replace your springs.
I changed out my monleaf leaf springs for multi leaf springs nearly 8 years ago and I'm still using the monleaf axle mounts. No problem that I have detected. Mine is a first gen.

#8 ·
I see, ill do some shopping around to see what i want to actually want to do. All the cars being built for is to have fun joy riding every now and again, but knowing you can run a lot of hp with monos i might keep them or find multi springs that can fit with my perches that are on there now. Thanks to all, Richard.

#9 ·
Hotchkis Multi Leafs

Just changed my mono leafs out for a set of Hotchkis multi leaf springs, part #2407C. I have the mono leaf perches on my rearend. They give you a thick urethane spring pad for the top that allows the multi leaf bolt to work in the mono perch. So far I like them. Under normal driving they're smooth and semi-soft. Under cornering when you get into the over loads they stiffen up. Nice combo....:yes:

#12 ·
You should be able to use your original shocks however, the right way to do it is to measure it once you have the springs installed and the car sitting on the ground. Ideally you want the shock to be in the middle of it's stroke at ride height.

In ride height position it is suppose to be about 16.5" on our cars.

Mine was 17.5". When I talked with hotchkis they said that was still ok.

Their shock compressed is 12.94" and 20.09" full extended.

#13 · (Edited)
You don't need to change perches on a 71 going from mono to multi leaf springs. I did it on mine without any issues. The only thing I had to do was to drill the locator hole bigger. I ordered the multi leafs from Classic Nova I believe many years back on the 71 in my avatar( I sold it about a few years back). The Mopar style and universal style spring perches don't even use any sides on them at all. I am pretty positive that I ordered the 5 leafs, and I think they offer a 4 leaf also. I did order new pads for the multileafs, ran stock rear shocks, and 90-10's in the front, subframe connectors, and traction bars also. Now I couldn't tell you a thing about any of the competition style springs, but mine worked good for me on the street and the strip. I wished I would have taken the car to the strip before with the monos though to see how it reacted. I only changed because of the old age and sagging springs.

#15 ·
My traction bars took the place of the plate, so maybe my traction bar plate was a little beefier. I did away with the t bolts and used two u bolts instead and went to the bigger size up u bolts.

#16 ·
So since I have a 71 I can pretty much use any spring and with little to no modifications they will fit? Also sticking with the stock shocks will work, and setting them to the right compression once the cars standing with the new springs. Thanks all for the information it came in handy :yes:

#17 ·
Again it comes down to race or street. I have Cal-Tracs. I've towed U-Haul trailers cross-country with them. But the solid alum. bushings transmit road bumps and coarse road surface into the body. Thats the only reason I'm thinking of multi-leafs so I can have the poly bushings. Probably 3-leaf so I can still keep the weight down. After all I still have to be able to smoke Mustangs to keep the balance of nature in form as GOD intended.

#22 ·
I ran the poly bushings in my setup with multileafs, stock rear shocks, and the 90/10's up front. Street and strip for over 5 years (11.60 - 1/4 mile 1.64-1.65 60' time). Like I stated above the only mod I "had" to do was to enlarge the spring locator hole in the perch. I had a drill bit to do it, but you could do it with a die grinder and a carbide bit. I bought new spring pads to go with the new multileafs.

#24 ·
Yeah I think my 71 came with the T bolts and 1 u bolt on each side. I am thinking this is how they came from the factory. I enlarged my holes also and bought the bigger u bolts from Oreilly auto parts and put all u bolts in them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.