Chevy Nova Forum banner

Spark Plug Wire Routing Under the Headers?

44K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  nova66mussl 
#1 ·
Who here routes their spark plug wires under their headers on their sbc's? Any one have any photos of your setup? What are you using for wire seperators? I just finished doing most of my engine compartment wiring (all most all of it hiden) and I would like to route the plug wires behind the valve covers and under the headers rather than just across the tops of the valve covers. Any ideas would be appreciated!
thanks
Ron

#6 ·
Doesnt running the wires under the headers heat up the wires and melt them? What are the wires heat resistance rating at? I would assume doing that you run the risk of them pressing against the headers?? ( I have never tried it, so I dont know, im asking )

#7 ·
Doesnt running the wires under the headers heat up the wires and melt them?
The way I had mine kept them far away from any tubes--they dropped straight down and looped back behind the engine, away from most exhaust heat. Some headers make it very difficult to run the wires down--on one set, I could only do it to one side.

#8 ·
A couple of tricks to do this and not burn wires. Buy a roll of wire protective sleeve. I use DEI. For the tough wires that never stay were you want them, I used lashing wire. (Wire used to wrap telephone lines from pole to pole) Tape the wire to you spark plug wires with electrical or wire loom tape and then cover with protective sleeve. This way the wire stays in what ever configuration you put them in. I am sure there are many others ways but this one looks good and you don't have to use a bunch of ties etc. to hold them off the headers. I have also modified a set of wire holders (The ones that bolt on with the valve cover) and bolted them to the block were the original shield bolted on under the headers.

#19 ·
. I think I am about a month away from firing the engine:D
Ron
Champagne time!

If they are hidden I've seen people use a loose zip tie around two wires then one or two zip ties between the wires and around the loose zip tie to keep the two wires seperated.

#20 ·
On old style blocks that had the two threaded holes low on the sides of the block (for original wire looms) I use an Adel clamp to hold them with a 1/4-20 bolt to the block and also the same mothod in the holes behind the head (also, for original wire looms) where there are threaded holes. I run 1&3 and 2&4 just like mentioned earlier by Al, under the motor mount. If you have a good set of wires a lil header contact won't hurt them but I try to keep it off the headers if possible. Actually I try to hide everything I possibly can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.