Chevy Nova Forum banner

Bell housing bolt removal

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  David_D. 
#1 ·
Can ya tell me the easiest way to get the top two bolts on top of the trans out:mad:

#2 ·
I have found that standing on drivers side of car using your LEFT hand palm towards motor take out the passenger side bolt. Standing on passenger side of car use your RIGHT hand palm towards motor for the drivers side bolt. Of course I'm 6'5" tall so you maybe can't reach.

Two toughest bolts on the car as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. Put Free Bird and Stairway to Heaven on the boom box. By the time those two songs are over your done.....Burt.

#3 ·
if your removing the trans i usually just lower the trans just a little (after you remove the crossmember) and use a long extension and an impact wobble socket... just make sure you watch the clearance between your distributor and firewall when you are letting it down

and dont forget the southern rock music like he said... it has been scientifically proven by scientists :yes: that lynard skynard cuts removal time in half

#4 ·
Yeah, when I worked at the Chevy dealer working flat rate that was the hot trick. A 3 foot 3/8 drive extension and a 9/16" impact wobble. Use the 3/8 drive since it's smaller and the impact wobble is less floppy than the chrome ones.

I had a small 3/8 drive Ingersol impact and the above set up and it wouldn't take more than a minute to get all the bolts out. I'd start at the top and work down. Take the lower ones out last because they are supported by the alignment pins. If you take the top ones out last, all the weight is hanging from those and you could break the case.

Remove the torque converter bolts and everything else first because it's coming out and you don't want to be removing things when that baby is loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.