Chevy Nova Forum banner

starter cranks with key off

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  PCPete 
#1 ·
i just bought

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-5095/overview/make/chevrolet

i shimmed it. installed it and started the vehicle a few times to test out my handy work. well my handy work suck potentially.

the problem is once i turn the car off it keeps cranking. the only way to get it to stop is to disconnect the battery. once i reconnect the battery it immediately starts cranking.

thoughts?

#5 ·
the wire that went to the ignition coil has been removed. so i got the one that goes to the ignition switch now.

if it matters it has a painless wiring harness in it.

**edit**

the first few times i turned it over everything was fine. probably the 4th or 5th time is when it started gettin' all wacky on me.

#6 ·
X2 with Deuce

Sounds like you have either wires touching, or, if it didn't do it right away, the solenoid is stuck. In an oversimplification, the small wire on the (S) terminal on the solenoid energizes a plate inside the solenoid pulling the fork which throws the bendix gear to the flywheel and the plate makes contact with the battery cable (the top big lug) and the starter connector (the bottom big lug. A quick test to see if that plate is stuck is to disconnect the wire going the the (S) terminal, probably a purple wire, and connect the battery. If it cranks you have a bad solenoid. If it was old, it's a nut and bolt fix, but you paid for new and I know from experience that the folks at Summit will make it right.
Try the test and let us know. We are here to feel your pain and give you advise that is worth what you are paying for it. Tongue firmly in cheek, we really love to help. :D:devil:

#7 ·
i did pop that purple wire off and it still cranked as soon as i gave it juice.

i'm really disappointed in the fact a $300 starter is bad out of the box. i'll hook it up one more time to make sure i didn't have wires touching.

thanks for the quick replies guys! :D

#8 ·
It happens

Okay you have a stuck solenoid. Better it happens now than out on the road somewhere. It's the reverse of when you hit the key and nothing goes click. Call Summit and they will take care of you. They were very helpful with my starter woes.

#9 ·
I had one do this on my 66 when I installed my brand new 383.:mad: I ended up installing another starter, which took care of my issues. This of course was on a car that had a perfectly working 6 that I swapped to the 383, which eliminated the wiring and ignition switch in my mind. The faulty starter even tested fine at an auto parts store because of the way the test bench applies power the the main stud and the "s" lead at the same time.
Curtis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.