Installing headliner in 69 Nova? [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Installing headliner in 69 Nova?


a69nova
9th-April-2008, 02:01 PM
Just putting this out there, has anyone installed their own headliner in their car? Just looking to see the degree of difficulty. any feedback would be great.

Denis the Menace
9th-April-2008, 03:21 PM
Funny you should ask. I have been doing much research on this. I doesn't appear to be too difficult. I have some good links I can post later when I get to my house. Lots of the metal binder clips and some really good glue. I am still researching the best over the counter glue.

70Deuce
10th-April-2008, 08:59 AM
I saved this link in my favorites. It has some good info.
http://www.iola.com/71nova/headliner.html

jason 68 L78
10th-April-2008, 11:20 AM
Not real hard I have done 2 nova's, it is just time consuming. I used 3M super trim adhesive. The only glue that worked for me I think I tried 3 different ones. Make sure you keep track of your headliner bows they are different. What I did was remove the old headliner with the bowstill intact with the headliner. Just remove them from the holes in the side support and note what hole each bow was removed from. Then lay it out on the floor along side your new headliner. Then transfer the bow's one at a time. You may have to trim some of the sleeve the bow slide into. But you can do that after the new headliner is re-installed. Just that simple.

Jason

69LT1Nova
10th-April-2008, 12:31 PM
I saved this link in my favorites. It has some good info.
http://www.iola.com/71nova/headliner.html

+1 on the link. I put that into my favorites for future reference. :yes:

73NovaMan
10th-April-2008, 02:03 PM
when i bought my nova the headliner and everything underneath it was removed, does anyone know if GM reproduces everything i would need to start from scratch?

71fc
10th-April-2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah I've done two headliners in 72 cutlasses...it takes a while, but definately the 3M glue. We call it gorilla snot, and it's the bomb. The worst part is working out all the wrinkles. If you still have a few, you can hit it with a heat gun lightly and it will relax.

Denis the Menace
11th-April-2008, 02:12 AM
I hope this helps, after reading and looking at the pics and my car, it should be pretty straight forward!

Hopefully I can get to mine this weekend!

Good Luck with yours!

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161372&highlight=headli
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=95342
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45804&highlight=installing+headliner
http://www.iola.com/71nova/headliner.html

taz3
11th-April-2008, 04:23 AM
Don't mix up the bars,keep them in their correct order.It's just time consuming as mentioned.

Denis the Menace
11th-April-2008, 02:03 PM
I also read after marking the bars and the holes they came out of, to hit them on the wire wheel to remove the surface rust, this makes the bars slide through the material easier.

Denis the Menace
13th-April-2008, 02:57 AM
Ok, It was a nice hot day today. I put the rods in and layed the headliner across my daughters Tacoma hood(it's black too!). All wrinkles came out.

I removed all of the plates that the headliner attaches to and wire wheeled all of the old glue off. It now has a nice clean shiney surface to bond to.

I started installing the headliner and got all of the bars snapped into place,I even used a blow drier to soften the 6 center bar clips, and they went on fine. I started streching it out all was fine, then snap, one of the end/center bar clips shattered. They were extreamly brittle.

So, crap it's 4:30 something and I am now SOL. Just for grins I called this local shop. He just happened to still be there and have 1 bag of 6 clips. He said if it was already in and streched, just reach in and change to 1 broken one, so I did. Then I got to thinking screw this, I dropped the front 2 bars and replaced all 6 clips. I put it all back up. Everything looked pretty good, so I glued the front and then the back.

I have 30 of those paper clamps in the back and about 28 in the front. Tomorrow I will glue the sides and post some pics. I used a total of 72 of those clamps and I should be able to get by with 1 tube of 3M Super Weather Stripping Adheasive (black).

So far the hardest thing has been cleaning the old glue off of the glue plates and the frustration of the broken clips. What ever you do get NEW clips!:yes: