1970 ss nova 2 green temp wires [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: 1970 ss nova 2 green temp wires

bigvan98
11th-October-2007, 10:28 PM
someone cut the 2 green wires that lead to my sender on my 396. someone told me that i need a grey plug in piece as well to put these wires back to the sender? is that true? what is the name of this gray piece. i do not have a factory center console. just the idiot light that will say temp. if you need a picture of what im talkin about email me at bbuick87@aol.com and i will reply

bigvan98
11th-October-2007, 10:45 PM
the sender is circled

bigvan98
11th-October-2007, 10:46 PM
the car i posted is a chevelle but it has the sender i speak of

WILMASBOYL78
11th-October-2007, 11:17 PM
Are you referring to the green wires for the TCS switch..pass side head..?? i believe the drivers side temp is a slip on contact with fabric coated wire..

wilma

bigvan98
12th-October-2007, 12:57 PM
i just know that the wires were cut . they are on the driver side. they both came from the wire harness below the master cylinder where all the other wires came from.

bigvan98
12th-October-2007, 01:00 PM
they did come from a fabric coated piece that i believe is there to prevent headers from burning the wires. i have another nova that has only one green wire and it just slips on the sender. so i guess what i want to know what is this tcs?

Mike McKown
12th-October-2007, 05:43 PM
they did come from a fabric coated piece that i believe is there to prevent headers from burning the wires. i have another nova that has only one green wire and it just slips on the sender. so i guess what i want to know what is this tcs?

TCS=transmission controlled spark. Maybe somebody has a picture of the apparatus. It mounts on top by the carburetor. It shuts vacuum off while the engine is cold and in the reduction gears of a standard transmission. The second green wire goes to a sender in the right hand head similar to the sender shown in the Chevelle picture in the left head. I don't believe it's the same sending unit though.

Bscman
12th-October-2007, 05:57 PM
Pretty sure the idiot light only cars are one wire only.

Mine was too hacked up to know for sure how it was hooked up (in fact, the idiot light isn't hooked up at all). If I ground the green wire, however, the light comes on.

bigvan98
12th-October-2007, 08:20 PM
well i just want to know where the 2 green wires coming from the harness behind the master cylinder go. they are on the driver side, and they were in the fabric housing to keep them from getting burned. i am assumin they are for a temp sender. if so why would there be 2? i thought only one powers the idiot light

Ray_McAvoy
12th-October-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi bigvan98,

According to the wiring diagrams I have, cars without the factory gauge package used a single 2-prong/wire temperature switch on the driver side. Basically two temp switches in one housing. One wire goes to the TEMP light on the dash and the other goes to the TCS relay.

Cars with the factory gauge package are the ones with the two separate sending units on each side of the engine. One is a variable resistance sending unit for the gauge and the other is a temp switch for the TCS.

If you're not concerned about original appearance or having the TCS functional for emissions purposes, you can just figure out which wire goes to the TEMP light, hook that one up, and tape off the other one. To identify the wires, temporarily ground them one at a time and see which one makes the TEMP light come on with the key on.

burkej62
12th-October-2007, 09:30 PM
My brake, temp and oil lights are all unhooked.

:eek:

bigvan98
14th-October-2007, 08:07 PM
how would i go about temporarily grounding the wires to see which one is the temp wire for the idiot light? just put it on metal?

burkej62
14th-October-2007, 08:23 PM
Um yes.

:D

bigvan98
14th-October-2007, 08:51 PM
i did that and the light did not turn on. is the wiring bad or does the car have to be running

burkej62
14th-October-2007, 09:03 PM
The key must be on.

Are you getting a good, solid ground?

Might have the wong wire.

bigvan98
14th-October-2007, 09:08 PM
is a sanded down bare frame the best ground?

burkej62
14th-October-2007, 09:27 PM
Well assuming you have a good main ground...

Eliminate all error of margin and make a test lead and go right to the neg terminal on the battery. IF this don't light ya up then ya just got the wrong wire.

Mike McKown
15th-October-2007, 07:28 AM
I have a '70 SS. It was a 350, no gauge package. It has the TCS wiring with two wires. I can't tell you any more than that as the car is not here nor is my wiring schematic. In that circuit, There should be a wire going to the transmission. Maybe it's green and maybe it has continuity to the TCS green wire on the engine?