Chevy Nova Forum banner

305 heads

5K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  rhorne12 
#1 ·
Has anyone used 601 heads on ther 350? I herd its a cheap way to make alot of power.

#2 · (Edited)
If your on a budget look for some aluminum vette heads 10088113 casting. They will probably work better than the 305 heads. All the work you will end up putting into the 305 heads could be put into the vette heads and you will be alot farther ahead. Porting aluminum is far easier too. Ask me how I know.

#3 ·
I just got done putting a set on my 307 but I haven't fired it up yet, still have to get the headers on and fill it up with antifreeze and oil and set the timing and we will see what we will see. :D

I had the heads ported, shaved .005, stainless 1.94 int and 1.6 exh, screw in 7/16 studs, and a set of roller tip 1.5 ratio rockers. cost me right at $500 gaskets included.

I'll know more sometime next week. :D

#4 · (Edited)
305 heads are to small for 350 but are fine for 307, 305, 283. your better off porting the 350 heads and getting some pistons to up the compression, if you have the tipical 76cc head a .100 dome 1970 Lt-1 piston is worth 9.7 compression, a .030 overbore will get you to 10.0, also remember 78' and up heads i believe are thin castings and will crack at the middle exhaust ports when you up the power, you can tell they are thin by the notched edge near the outer head bolt holes , also 74' up heads have the hardened exhaust seats, to be safe use 1974-76' the 77' can go either way because that was the year GM went corrporate, hence the GM blue painted blocks, chevy orange ended in 76'. i know more info than you needed but what the heck!

#11 ·
I have used 601 heads on a few 350's and, if the piston is dished enough and the rpm range low enough, they are OK. On a 4" bore, they are restrictive for flow unless you add bigger valves and 1.94" valves flow less than stock unless you releive the combustion chamber walls to unshroud the 1.94 valve.

I keep telling you guys, EQ makes dirt cheap heads for most SBC apps that will outrun almost anything in cast iron heads!! And they come in several variations as well as for 305's, with Vortec or with conventional intakes.

#14 ·
theres a guy on hotrodders.com that is 100% pro 416 305 heads, he says with some bigger valves and port & polish they will out preform the camel humps and be as good or maybe better (can't remember all he brags or says) than the vortec 350 heads. and he says why buy vortec heads when 416s are almost free and if you do the work your self you will end up with a better & cheaper head. he claims done at home and done right, there up there with some of the best reasonable priced aftermarket heads out there. anytime theres a head question hes posting about how great the 416 305 head is with some bigger valves & a home port & polishing. no this is not my belief.

#15 · (Edited)
Considering the regular crack prone 305 head flows only about 170 CFM with the small valves and all the modifications necessary to duplicate 1.94" camel hump flow, (about 200 CFM on a good day), I still don't see how it can be construed as "cheaper and better" than Vortecs that flow 230-240 Cfm out of the box with no modifications.

Doing the work yourself leaves out a very major and not insignificant point that the equipment to do the modifications costs waay too much for the average backyard builder. I have all the equipment and it still costs me money in supplies and wear and tear on the equipment, even if my time is considered "free".

I could save $1000 on my block work if I bought $100,000+ worth of equipment, but considering I only do maybe 4 engines a year it's not worth the investment.

You can buy new, crack free 58 cc iron heads that flow much better out of the box and flow even better modified. Same work but better results.
If this guy thinks he's got a leg up on everyone with his home brew, budget 305 heads he's in serious denial.

The original question mentioned it's "a cheap way to make a lot of power".
If you want a cheap way to make a lot of HP get the entry level nitrous kit. 75-100 hp for a lot less than trying to make maybe 15 hp putting 305 heads on a low compression 350.
Buying new pistons and rings ($200 or less) will raise the compression and help with cylinder sealing. A much better bang for the buck on any 30 year old engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.