stretching rear wheel opening [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: stretching rear wheel opening

firemanmario
17th-February-2007, 11:16 AM
Has anyone stretched the opening for their rear wheel? I'm thinking of doing this to the '66 that I'm working on. I know harwood makes a fiberglass one that can be placed on top of the quarter panel that can be blended in but I want to try and do it out of metal. Has anyone done this? I was thinking that I could buy two of the wheel house openings from goodmark, cut and weld to the spec I want. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Pragmatist
17th-February-2007, 11:28 AM
Just curious but how much of an increase are you looking for? What size wheel and such?? You may want to get some drawings also to play with. If you increased the wheel base as well it may hide the changes better. Just a thought.;) ;)

batman09
17th-February-2007, 11:29 AM
why not do a mini tub?Those flares look weird....very 1970's(if thats what your talking about?)bm

NovaRich
17th-February-2007, 11:44 AM
why not do a mini tub?Those flares look weird....very 1970's(if thats what your talking about?)bm

I agree. I think a minitub would look A LOT better.

74 hatchback
17th-February-2007, 01:04 PM
he's talkin about making his opening bigger with a factory look, not flares! this is what im working on right now, only im using fender openings, im not stretching them wide, im stretching them taller, but the same concept! novas except for the 4th gen lack wheel/tire room 66-67 have a small opening all around and 68-74 is short and saggy looking, so yes you can fix this feature and still look factory, ill post pics soon of the process, when i get started next week if the temps in michigan stay 30 degrees.

Custom Jim
17th-February-2007, 01:29 PM
While I'm not doing this to the car linked to below, here's how it's done:

http://hometown.aol.com/krystaldesigns/pageA40.html

If you want to stretch the openings let's say 4" then you would have a 4" section in the top middle of the opening you would have to fabricate out of some steel or a section out of a donor car. With a 4" stretch you would only remove 2" from the front vertical edge and the rear vertical edge so the total would be 4".
Ideally a person should cut the opening and then put on the wheel and tire combination and then fit the cut off sections back onto the car.
While the outside skin will be the easiest to work with you also have to think about how to work on the outer wheel housing. This would either have to be made out of some flat steel with a 90 degree lip bent onto the edge to glue onto the inside of the quarters or by sectioning the original ones.

Jim

NovaRich
17th-February-2007, 03:56 PM
he's talkin about making his opening bigger with a factory look, not flares! this is what im working on right now, only im using fender openings, im not stretching them wide, im stretching them taller, but the same concept! novas except for the 4th gen lack wheel/tire room 66-67 have a small opening all around and 68-74 is short and saggy looking, so yes you can fix this feature and still look factory, ill post pics soon of the process, when i get started next week if the temps in michigan stay 30 degrees.

Regardless, a minitub would still do the job...right?

NovaRich
17th-February-2007, 03:58 PM
I would hate to try to find wheel well mouldings for something like that. :p :D

64PRONOVA
17th-February-2007, 05:39 PM
Most professionally-done pro-street cars have the rear wheel openings stretched at least a little bit if you are going with large diameter tires. It's not too difficult to do. You cut-out the wheel opening as a square piece and split it. Then you weld it back in place with a gap and use a piece of sheet metal fabbed for the center part.

Take good measurements though. I went a little too big on mine and had to re-do it later to scrunch them back up a bit. You can buy a steel wheel opening patch piece for 1st gens that makes it easy (I don't know if they are available for 2nd gens).

batman09
17th-February-2007, 05:53 PM
Most professionally-done pro-street cars have the rear wheel openings stretched at least a little bit if you are going with large diameter tires. It's not too difficult to do. You cut-out the wheel opening as a square piece and split it. Then you weld it back in place with a gap and use a piece of sheet metal fabbed for the center part.

Take good measurements though. I went a little too big on mine and had to re-do it later to scrunch them back up a bit. You can buy a steel wheel opening patch piece for 1st gens that makes it easy (I don't know if they are available for 2nd gens).does that mean you have to cut as much as you added off the edges?thanks bm

64PRONOVA
17th-February-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah if you cut-out the "square" piece around the wheel opening and then split it to stretch the wheel opening say one inch for example, you will have to cut another one inch of material (either 1/2" per side or however you plan to locate it) when you weld it back in. Some tires you can get away without stretching the wheel openings and they still look pretty good if you move the axle centerline back some to re-center the tire in the wheel opening but if you go with say 33" diameter tires, you almost always have to stretch the openings at least a little bit plus relocate the axle for it to look real good on a lot of cars. 1st and 2nd gen Novas are more forgiving in this area than most due to their large rear wheel openings.

NOVACA1N
17th-February-2007, 06:08 PM
I made this a while ago for someone else.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4813/stretchingquarterswu8.png

Joe

64PRONOVA
17th-February-2007, 06:40 PM
That's how you do it if you have a patch piece. That's why I said it makes it easier. You can also do it without a patch piece though with a little more work in fabricating a center piece to weld in.

Dragnova67
17th-February-2007, 09:03 PM
Regardless, a minitub would still do the job...right?

Not nessicarily.

I need to do that as I want to be able to get a 31" tire to fit on my car without dropping the rearend out to bolt them on.

He is just wanting to stretch the openings to more match the tire diameter.

novamike
17th-February-2007, 09:31 PM
I made this a while ago for someone else.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4813/stretchingquarterswu8.png

Joe

We need to save this for our library,good solid info here!
Mike

NOVACA1N
17th-February-2007, 09:43 PM
We need to save this for our library,good solid info here!
Mike

Thanks! I guess working at a body shop for 10 years of my 16 year life is good for something haha.

Joe:D

NovaRich
17th-February-2007, 11:43 PM
Not nessicarily.

I need to do that as I want to be able to get a 31" tire to fit on my car without dropping the rearend out to bolt them on.

He is just wanting to stretch the openings to more match the tire diameter.

I see what you are saying. Thanks for clearing it up...makes sense.:)

Dragnova67
17th-February-2007, 11:50 PM
I see what you are saying. Thanks for clearing it up...makes sense.:)

Anytime!!!!:beer:

Jake
18th-February-2007, 01:18 AM
Here's some pics of how I did my first set on a 67 Camaro. I do things alittle different now as far as cutting off the corners but the square layout makes it really easy to do. Once I got it to fit the tire the way I wanted I scribed it out and cut out the underlaying material and butt welded it back in. http://jakesperformancefabrication.com/gallery/v/3654/

firemanmario
19th-February-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the help Jake and Novacain, that's exactly what I'm looking to do!! I'm also going to be doing the mini tub. I'll try to get some pic's posted. In the process of getting it media blasted right now.

64PRONOVA
19th-February-2007, 02:51 PM
You won't have to stretch it too much for a 31" tire on a 1st gen. Maybe a half-inch or an inch or so and move the rear axle centerline back an inch too and it should look great. A 1st gen Nova also doesn't look too bad with a 31" tire if you don't stretch it at all and just move the axle centerline back.

Deuceisloose
20th-February-2007, 11:22 AM
Done as illustrated by Novaca1n

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o319/Reefstuff/1.jpg

31" tires

64PRONOVA
20th-February-2007, 02:50 PM
That's a sharp looking Nova there Deuceisloose.

I'm running 31x18.5 Mickeys on 15x14 rims on my '64. How far back did you relocate your axle centerline?

Deuceisloose
20th-February-2007, 04:42 PM
I couldn't tell you for sure as it's a tube chassis car so everything is different. The only thing on that car that is Nova are the body panels. Thanks for the kind words.