Saginaw Overdrive [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Saginaw Overdrive

stock z/28
30th-January-2007, 04:03 PM
Hello.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find any info on a Saginaw trans that had 4th gear as higher than 1to1?

I have checked all my sources of info and vendors but no ones been able to help.

I hadn't knew they made them until it was mentioned here. I would be happy if I could find out how to tell them from a regular Saginaw 4 speed, or where I can get parts to convert a standard trans to the 4th gear overdrive.

I figured with all the Novas built with Saginaws somebody may have seen one?
I have seen the 3 speed version with an overdrive in the tailhousing, but thats not what Im after. I need something that will appear to be a stock 4 speed.

Thanks for the help

Jeff

voodoochikin04
30th-January-2007, 05:45 PM
wouldnt it be possible to change the 1 to 1 gears to something higher?? or do you need on that was made like that?

Bruce
30th-January-2007, 06:26 PM
If you can find a Saginaw 3 speed with overdrive, it can be adapted to a 4 speed. Not a lot of torque capacity, but it works. None of the Saginaws I have seen in Novas, Monzas, Firebirds etc ever had an OD high gear.

Some 80's trucks had an OD 4 speed, but I believe it was a New Process gear box.

brownie
30th-January-2007, 07:14 PM
my 87 k-10 has a 4 speed with an overdrive 4th gear it looks like a saginaw i know it is one heavy trans.

voodoochikin04
30th-January-2007, 08:35 PM
i did some searching.. and alot of people adapt the sag 3sp overdrive unit onto the 4spd.. but he said he wants a stock apearing case.. so adding a unit on the tailshaft wouldnt be stock appearing.. to me..

stock z/28
30th-January-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi,

As far as I can tell the ones commonly used in the trucks were New Process units.

I have looked all over for info with out any luck.

I think IgnitionMan was the one who posted about it, and he usually has a lot of data to back up his posts, so I bet he has the specific applications, and may be some ratios.

I still cant figure how to maintain the shifter pattern with a sag and and overdrive high with a direct couple on the input? I dont think I have ever seen this on a sag transmission, shifter/side cover arrangement.

Thanks again

Jeff

IgnitionMan
30th-January-2007, 10:34 PM
They were used mostly in very light trucks and especially vans.

1:1 was thrid, OD was 4th gear. Thnis Saganaw had all the ratios inside the case, not a bolt on overdrive off the back of the trans.

Might try Anaheim Gear, Anaheim, California.

stock z/28
30th-January-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks Dave, I will try them tomorrow.

I have talked to all my vendors and nobody has ever heard of a Saginaw with OD in 4th.

I have a few GM shop manuals on the light trucks and cars in the 80s and all they show are 3 and 4 speed conventional style Saginaw's.

Would you happen to have Anaheim's phone number?

Thanks

Jeff

Joe
30th-January-2007, 11:34 PM
Jeff,I did some looking and found this,might help.
"adapt the Saginaw overdrive (Chevrolet part No. 3924783), which was offered on '65-and-later Saginaw three-speeds, to his Saginaw four-speed."

stock z/28
30th-January-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks Joe,

I will see if I can find that.

Thanks

Jeff

KenDog
30th-January-2007, 11:46 PM
I know there's after market gears to put OD in a stock muncie case, 3rd is 1-1 4th is OD. Don't know of others.

KenDog

Joe
31st-January-2007, 12:18 AM
Jeff,The Hollander list these Two Numbers for the Saginaw Trans.
3886075 and 3920743. Seems to end in 1969.Maybe your could find a whole transmission?If you need it I will send you the link to the conversion.

stock z/28
31st-January-2007, 12:33 AM
Hello,

Thanks Joe, but I think I found the info you were referring to.

I have seen the conversion to the planetary od style, but we are looking to keep it stock appearing.

I may be wrong but I think the trans that was used in the gms wasn't a Saginaw, but a New Process transmission. I think its not even close to the Saginaw, very similar to the Chrysler 4 speeds.

I have seen the Muncie conversion advertised as well.

I was hoping that there was an actual Saginaw transmission offered as a factory unit, Like IgnitionMan was referring to. But I think I may be out of luck. I will bet its the New Process unit.

Thanks
Jeff

Joe
31st-January-2007, 12:42 AM
Jeff,I might be Confusing you.The Two Saginaw Part Numbers are the Transmissions used up untill 1969 in the Light Vans and Bus's.That is going by the Hollander Manual.I would think it could be hard to locate either of those Transmission's.After 69,the manual stops listing the Transmission.

the FLYER
31st-January-2007, 12:51 AM
Hello,

I was hoping that there was an actual Saginaw transmission offered as a factory unit.

Thanks
Jeff

Hey Jeff, you tyin' ta get around sumpin' in the rule book ??? :rolleyes: ;) ;) :D

IgnitionMan
31st-January-2007, 01:12 AM
Saginaw, not a New Process. Used a Sag 4 speed case, with 1:1 3rd, OD 4th.

Moopar A833 4 speeds got the same treatment of ratios for their vans in the later years as well.

E/mail: eric@anaheimgear.com

(714) 778-1103

(800) 477-1103

Other info

http://www.novaresource.org/trans.htm

Carl Stevenson
31st-January-2007, 02:46 AM
I have the copy of the article from a Hot Rod magazine in the 70's or 80's that tells how to do it.

stock z/28
31st-January-2007, 09:15 AM
Hello.

Carl, it seems like I can remember an article back then as well. I was actually thinking (back then -late seventies) about building one and adapting it to operate behind a 400 turbo in my crew cab to tow with. But I never pursued it, and I wasn't sure it would handle the torque. Is that info available on line? I don't have a clue where my mag would be, but since I have never thrown a thing away I probably still have it.

Johnny, on this one I have a good friend who wants to keep his car all original as far as appearance, and would really like an gear driven od. No rules issues on this project.

Thanks for the numbers Dave I will call them after while.

Jeff

IgnitionMan
31st-January-2007, 01:20 PM
Seems to me, I remember those overdrive transmissions INSTALLED IN LIGHT TRUCKS AND VANS, not a conversion, OEM Saginaw factory.

stock z/28
31st-January-2007, 01:44 PM
Hello,

Well it looks like I struck out on the Saginaw overdrive.

I called the gentleman that Dave recommendended at Anaheim Gear, and it seems they never built the Saginaw O/D (except for the tail housing planetary style- 3 speed) in a production vehicle. At least that he is aware of, but he seems very knowledgeable about it.

He has a trans that I guess is what in mistaken for the Saginaw? Its a New Process 440? But it requires a different bell housing -shifter- etc.. I dont think it would come close to looking original. But I will ask my friend.

If someone does happen to stumble across any info on a Saginaw unit (if they were ever built) please keep me in mind.

I have a ton of Saginaw transmissions and parts, and would really like to to do this O/D. It seems the one Carl was refering to combined parts from different transmissions?

Oh well, I will and try to find that article, but a factory unit looks like a lost cause, atleast in this area. Maybe it was regional?

Thanks again for the phone numbers Dave.

Thanks

Jeff

The_Dude
31st-January-2007, 05:53 PM
I don't know about Saginaw, but it looks like you can get a Muncie.
http://www.autogear.net/news.htm

IgnitionMan
31st-January-2007, 11:16 PM
I've seen/worked on at least 10 of the SAGINAW integral O/D transmissions, so I know they exist, and none of the ones I saw were built from a kit.

stock z/28
31st-January-2007, 11:33 PM
Hello,

Well I guess I will keep looking Dave.

I will try the local Chev, dealer tomorrow and see if I can find it listed in a GM service or overhaul manual.

I have a pretty good catalog that lists parts (gears-shafts-syncs-etc) and doesn't list anything in a 4 spd od..

If you have any additional info let me know, I would appreciate it. In the mean time if you are sure they exist I will keep looking.

Thanks

Jeff

Carl Stevenson
1st-February-2007, 01:58 AM
Hot Rod, April 1975. I remembered what the cover looks like, and that it was April, so ebay to the rescue. Voila!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Rod-Magazine-April-1975-Richard-Petty_W0QQitemZ250042545596QQihZ015QQcategoryZ280Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

stock z/28
1st-February-2007, 09:58 AM
Hello,

Thanks Carl. It seems like I can remember that issue. You certainly have excellent recall. I might try the local library today for that issue.

I am going to stop at the Chev. dealer and scope their light truck info.. They usually have copies of older manuals to look at.

I will see if if there is any parts break down as well.

If Dave has seen 10 of them there has to be somebody with an actual transmission. Or at least info on it.

There is a place in Chicago that has a massive inventory of manual trans parts that I deal with from time to time, and they went through everything they could find with no luck. All they could find is the New Process unit.

Thanks for the help

Jeff

stock z/28
1st-February-2007, 03:17 PM
Hello,

Well its not looking good. I bugged a buddy at a GM dealer and we went through all the manuals we could find and no luck at all.

The parts dept was a typical what did fit deal, and I was unable to be very specific. But we tried 80s trucks/vans with no luck.

I called a guy in Texas that thought he had one but it turned out to be something other than a Saginaw. He thought it was a Saginaw until he actually compared it to Saginaw 4 speed out of a car he had.

So if anyone finds any info im still looking. If Dave's seen 10 I can can surely find 1.

I may try GMC specific vehicles, I know the pre 73 vehicles were sometimes different than the Chev equivalent, but I thought by the 80s they were pretty standard. Its worth a shot I guess.

I did find one of the old planetary 3 speeds I forgot I had.

Thanks
Jeff

stock z/28
1st-February-2007, 11:48 PM
Hello.

Well I think I have exhausted all my sources, and myself for that matter. I still haven't located any info this. Lots on the planetary style conversion. Seems no one I can find has even heard of one except for the New Process's.

I found a pretty good parts manual for the Saganaws and they don't show and ratios above 1 to 1..

But Im still very interested if any info pops up. I think I will write it off for now.
The 10 Dave has been involved with may be the only 10 in existence. LOL

I have a friend who is quite good at "weird parts installations" hes checking commercial vehicles like taxis. I know they did some weird stuff. I remember having a 327 out of a Checker taxi that had a Ford C4 (I think- I know it was a ford) auto trans behind it, and I have seen TorqueFlites behind Chevys in US Mail vehicles.

But unfortunately all I can find is the New Process.

Thanks for the help

Jeff

Carl Stevenson
2nd-February-2007, 02:00 AM
Now that I have re-read this whole thread more carefully, I know the article I mentioned is now what you need. It's a conversion on a Saginaw 4 speed. It adapts the 3 speed planetary onto the 4 speed to give you overdrive on a 4 speed. From the outside, it would look just like the 3 speed ovedrive unit except for one more shift rod.

stock z/28
2nd-February-2007, 08:45 AM
Hello,

Thanks for all the effort guys.

What Im looking for is a non-planetary version of a Saginaw 4 speed. It would be all contained in the main case, achieved by varied cluster and (third) gear tooth counts.

Obviously I don't have a clue as to what Im looking for. Dave is the only one so far who has seen one (actually 10!). So hes my main hope.

Thanks again

Jeff

IgnitionMan
2nd-February-2007, 02:40 PM
OK...well... only problem with installing a 3 SPEED cluster gear into a 4 SPEED trans is with a 4 SPEED inpyt/output shaft assembly, there isn't a gear on the cluster for a 4th GEAR.

Yes, Saginaw 3 speed case is same as a 4 speed case, and both 3 and 4 speed side covers bolt to either case, but if you only have 3 gears to work with on the cluster, then that is all you get, NOT 4.

Also, I have NEVER seen a "planetary" in a Saginaw manual transmission, only in automatics.

stock z/28
2nd-February-2007, 05:56 PM
Hello,

What I was trying to convey Dave, is that the input would still be direct connection to the main shaft typically high gear in a stand 4 speed. where third gear is normally located would basically be the 4th "gear" but over driven instead of under driven. I guess the 3-4 shift lever on the side cover is reversed to give the same shifter pattern as a standard 4 speed?

As far as the planetary deal Im not sure but Im just refering to what ever system the old 3 speed ods used that were contained in the tail housing.

It dosent look like Im doing a very good job explaining myself. I wasnt trying to install a 3 speed cluster in a 4 speed.

I still havent found any info on these, but I havent given.

I found a guy who works at Delphi who can gewt pretty deep in GM design stuff, and hes looking into it. I told him you thoght 80s light trucks.

thanks

Jeff

Joe
2nd-February-2007, 06:16 PM
Jeff,You are explaining yourself well.In the beginning I did not understand what you wanted.I thought you just wanted a Internal OD.Even though you said you knew of the Planetary in the Tailhousing type.I searched the web untill early in the morning and All the info I found was on the Planetary Type,1950's-1980's.They all had either a Electronic Solenoid or a plunger to activate the OD,Neither would look original for what you want.There is even a Old Link on Steves about this.I think you will find something eventually,but it will probally be in the form of a Custom Conversion.Good Luck with it.

stock z/28
2nd-February-2007, 06:53 PM
Hello,

Thanks Joe.

I have a couple of good friend who have been obsessed with the old style od 3 speeds for years. They would grab every one a swap meet that was cheap. I even have one I forgot about.

I had never heard of the one I am looking for until IgnitionMan (Dave) mentioned it. So I still have no idea where to look, but Dave's been involved with 10 so there must be some out there.

I have yet to even find a trace, just the New Process versions that were available in the GM. No Saginaws, yet.

Dave, I checked a little deeper and several people refer to the 3 sp Saginaw OD as a planetary style, they may be error as well.
Was reverse on the side cover?

But Im still looking

Thanks again Dave

Jeff

stock z/28
3rd-February-2007, 04:56 PM
Hello,

Well Im just about to give up I went though a whole stack of Gm manuals with no luck today.

I did find several overdrive service manuals that described the Saginaw 3 speed OD as a "planetary" system.

stock z/28
4th-February-2007, 05:23 PM
Hello,

I found some more info on the od trans, today but it doesnt look so good.

My friend found the Gm order and Im not to sure about any of this but its

81-86 light trucks with an RPO MY6

Its supposed to me 4 speed manual od but apparently they were New Process units to Gm specs

I guess nothing Saginaw about it. Im not sure about splines or any thing yet.

But Im still looking for the Saginaw version but its certainly looking bad. I cant even find a general parts diagram or reference for one.

If anybody stumbles across any parts info I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Jeff

tekenaar
6th-November-2008, 12:21 PM
OK...well... only problem with installing a 3 SPEED cluster gear into a 4 SPEED trans is with a 4 SPEED input/output shaft assembly, there isn't a gear on the cluster for a 4th GEAR.

Yes, Saginaw 3 speed case is same as a 4 speed case, and both 3 and 4 speed side covers bolt to either case, but if you only have 3 gears to work with on the cluster, then that is all you get, NOT 4.

Also, I have NEVER seen a "planetary" in a Saginaw manual transmission, only in automatics.

Hello,

I found some more info on the od trans, today but it doesn't look so good.

My friend found the GM order and Im not to sure about any of this, but it's
81-86 light trucks with an RPO MY6. Its supposed to be 4 speed manual od but apparently they were New Process units to GM specs . . . I guess nothing Saginaw about it. I'm not sure about splines or any thing yet.

But Im still looking for the Saginaw version but it's certainly looking bad. I can't even find a general parts diagram or reference for one. If anybody stumbles across any parts info I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jeff

Kind of hate to resurrect this old thread, but it's the one that led me to this site looking for help finding a good used Saginaw 4-spd to which to adapt my Saginaw 3-spd OD unit! It's based on that very 2-page, April 1975 Hot Rod article, referred to earlier in this thread and which I thankfully tore out and copied at the time! . . . been "Rodding" since the mid-'50s!

Let me start by first setting straight at least one misconception posted here . . . check any '60s-'80s Motor's Manual OD section and you'll clearly see that all 3-spd OD trannys, no matter the brand, used a planetary gear set for their OD function!

It's already been stated about the Saginaw's 3- and 4-speed case, side cover and tail housing similarities, identical actually, but no mention that the main shafts are also identical. It's these things that make it possible to adapt the 3-spd OD unit directly to the 4-spd, but only on the Saginaw . . . none of the other brands!

It's basically . . . remove the 3-spd OD adapter and tail assembly and both 3- and 4-spd main shafts, swap main shaft gear sets, drill one hole in the 4-spd main case for the OD "plunger" using 3-spd OD gasket as template, weld small vertical tab to reverse shifter arm to disengage the OD when in "Reverse" and then just reassemble the 4-spd, but with OD now . . . couldn't be much simpler!

The real beauty is that OD is available on all four forward gears . . . effectively an 8-speed! Here's proof . . .

http://tekenaar.opelgt.com/Misc/tranny/saginawodarticlep1sm.gif

http://tekenaar.opelgt.com/Misc/tranny/saginawodarticlep2sm.gif

Paul Wright
6th-November-2008, 01:58 PM
Excellent! I knew I had seen that before. I have all the old HotRods and now I know what issue to look. I think this may go in the Archive.

tekenaar
6th-November-2008, 02:26 PM
Excellent! I knew I had seen that before. I have all the old HotRods and now I know what issue to look for. I think this may go in the Archive.

. . . well, I hope at least that I put to bed some misconceptions in the earlier posts here . . . that's what you get from an "old fart!" :rolleyes: Now that I think of it, when you locate that article in your Hot Rod archives, perhaps you could make a much clearer scan of the pages to clear up the illustrations and exploded views. Mine were copied off the original pages back in the late '70s and scanned off that old double-sided copy. Today's equipment is SO much higher resolution and, if scanned directly off the original, should produce much better copies!

If you or anyone else here should do that, let me suggest some settings in your scanner software to give you the optimum resolution. Set "Original" to "Printed Material - Art Magazine" (best resolution); set "Scan Type" to "Gray" (best image from B/W original); set "Purpose" (output) to "Laser Print - Fine" (highest resolution output); set "Scale Output" to "100%" and increase "Brightness", "Contrast" and "Sharpness" one step above "Zero/Normal" . . . this gives the best "Printed Page" images! . . . and let me know so I can get a better copy from you for my archives! :thumbsup: :pray:

Anyway, glad to help . . . anyone here have a decent Saginaw 4-spd and shifter they'd let go of so I can finish this mod? I have a really good digital camera to document the swap, if that helps convince y'all . . . :o

Oh, and Paul, just noticed and wanted to add . . . "Thank you for your service!" :salute: . . . "Nam Era" Navy vet myself . . .

Paul Wright
6th-November-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm just a REMF working behind the T-walls.
The thanks go to you for solving an old thread. Now I just need to find an OD saginaw 3 speed.

Scanning my vast collection is on my "list of things to do when I get back".
I'll send a high res copy to you and Jeff (StockZ28) when I do.

Nova_Guy
6th-November-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey Paul when are you due back home? I'm headed your way in a couple of months. Either Kuwait or Iraq for 6 months or in the way the USAF counts days closer to 220 days.

Paul Wright
6th-November-2008, 08:48 PM
I was just at Ali Al Salem air base in Kuwait a couple days ago coming back from the States from 2 weeks R&R. Arrived via Blackhawk from BIAP yesterday.
My contract is over in April, but things are winding down over here and spooling up in Afghanistan. I may be back sooner than later. Don't breath the dust. It will kill you.

Nova_Guy
6th-November-2008, 11:00 PM
I was just at Ali Al Salem air base in Kuwait a couple days ago coming back from the States from 2 weeks R&R. Arrived via Blackhawk from BIAP yesterday.
My contract is over in April, but things are winding down over here and spooling up in Afghanistan. I may be back sooner than later. Don't breath the dust. It will kill you.
I been over there 4 times so far. I'll be going through Ali Al Salem air base in Kuwait on my over. I think I still have your email when I get there I'll try to get in touch with you.

tekenaar
11th-November-2008, 02:50 PM
. . . well, I hope at least that . . . when you locate that article in your Hot Rod archives, perhaps you could make a much clearer scan of the pages to clear up the illustrations and exploded views. Mine were copied off the original pages back in the late '70s . . . and, if scanned directly off the original pages, should produce much better copies!

If you or anyone else here should do that, . . . let me know so I can get a better copy from you for my archives! :thumbsup: :pray:

Anyway, glad to help . . .

The thanks go to you for solving an old thread. Now I just need to find an OD saginaw 3 speed.

. . . through my archives of various '50s, '60s and '70s Chevy FSMs in my attic, I found some larger, much clearer images of the Saginaw 3-speed, 4-speed and 3-speed OD cross section views and the OD exploded view . . . rescanned and pictured below . . .

Saginaw 3-speed cross section:

http://tekenaar.opelgt.com/Misc/tranny/saginaw3-spd-xsect.gif

Saginaw 4-speed cross section:

http://tekenaar.opelgt.com/Misc/tranny/saginaw4-spd-xsect.gif

Saginaw 3-speed OD cross section:

http://tekenaar.opelgt.com/Misc/tranny/overdrive-xsect.gif

Saginaw 3-speed OD exploded:

http://tekenaar.opelgt.com/Misc/tranny/overdrive-xplod.gif

. . . these should help anyone considering doing this mod.

I found a copy of that April 1975 Hot Rod issue and will scan directly off the original " 4 + 0 = 8 " article pages to replace my original post's images and hopefully much clearer than my scans from "a copy of a copy!"

tekenaar
14th-November-2008, 03:12 PM

. . . Paul, to simplify your search and if I recall correctly, I believe the only GM manual 3-speed OD transmissions produced were Saginaws!

tekenaar
19th-November-2008, 06:31 PM
Just received my April 1975 Hot Rod copy and rescanned the 2-page article for the pics in my original post (#36) here . . . don't like leaving things half done!

Oh yeah, found a Saginaw 4-speed and it's on the way here to mate with my late '60s 3-speed OD in storage . . . which I'll document with digi-pics when I do the conversion . . . :thumbsup:

tekenaar
8th-December-2008, 11:54 AM
Just received my April 1975 Hot Rod copy and rescanned the 2-page article for the pics in my original post (#36) here . . . don't like leaving things half done!

Oh yeah, found a Saginaw 4-speed and it's on the way here to mate with my late '60s 3-speed OD in storage . . . which I'll document with digi-pics when I do the conversion . . . :thumbsup:

OK guys, got my Saginaw 4-speed and am having some difficulty finding a gasket set for each tranny, 3-speed OD and 4-speed Saginaws. It appears that most Chevy dealers are 'reluctant' to even look-up 'old parts' because they're no longer 'in the system' . . . electronic system, that is.

Three Chevy dealer Parts Departments I went to immediately stated that they "couldn't look them up" and didn't even offer to try outside of their computerized parts lookup :mad: . . . very, very sad!!! :( No wonder GM is in trouble!

Anyway, back to my need . . . all I need is a source for the two gasket sets so I can complete my Saginaw 4-speed OD conversion project, which, of course, I'll document with pics here . . . anyone? :confused:

tekenaar
15th-January-2009, 02:30 PM
OK guys, got my Saginaw 4-speed and am having some difficulty finding a gasket set for each tranny, 3-speed OD and 4-speed Saginaws. It appears that most Chevy dealers are 'reluctant' to even look-up 'old parts' because they're no longer 'in the system' . . . electronic system, that is.

Three Chevy dealer Parts Departments I went to immediately stated that they "couldn't look them up" and didn't even offer to try outside of their computerized parts lookup :mad: . . . very, very sad!!! :( No wonder GM is in trouble!

Anyway, back to my need . . . all I need is a source for the two gasket sets so I can complete my Saginaw 4-speed OD conversion project, which, of course, I'll document with pics here . . . anyone? :confused:

Didn't get any response here for my gasket/seal needs, so I decided to poke around on the internet a bit more and found many 'high dollar' sources for them, most of them apparently with listings priced within a dollar or so of each other . . . hmmm! :(

"Googled" and "Asked" on the net some more and found D & L Transmission (http://www.muncie4speed.net), a MUNCIE/BORG WARNER SPECIALIST in up-state NY, who claim that . . .
"---We Specialize in Classic and Current Musclecar Manual Transmissions--
-Hard to Find Parts and Transmissions- NEW & USED-"
. . . on their site, linked above.

And, why am I "singing their praises" and passing this on to you, you may ask?! Well they do exactly what they claim . . . at less than half the cost of any others I found!! Their price for a complete Saginaw 4-spd. gasket/seal kit, $8.00, was less than half :wow: of any other Saginaw 4-spd. kit, ~$18.00, I found anywhere else . . . good enough? :thumbsup:

Carl Stevenson
28th-December-2010, 12:37 AM
One thing I wanted to add to this thread. As far as I can find, if anyone is looking for the correct overdrive to do this, is has to be from a 66 or newer GM. I think even the 1/2 tons had them.

Older than 66 I think the 3 speed overdrive was different in that it did not have a syncronized low gear, so it's not the same internally as the Saginaw 4 speed, thus eliminating chances of converting.

slingslingbinks
24th-February-2011, 09:59 PM
Your correct Carl. Only the fully sinkro. 3 speed O.D. Trans will retro fit to the 4 speed trans. I searched for 30 year's for the O.D. unit and found one and did the conversion. The biggest thing was drilling the 4 speed case for the reverse lock out. Just wish i has a car to put the tran's in.